The Dungeon

BABEL. DUNGEON ENTRANCE

[3rd Person POV]

Bella could barely contain her excitement as she watched the stairs down into the Dungeon. Finally! She was actually going to enter the Dungeon! She was wearing the chest plate that the guild had given her and had her dagger strapped to her side. Looking to her right, she saw Steve standing there in his usual clothes' Apparently, he didn't think that the first floor warranted the use of his armor. Considering his level, that made sense.

"Alright, Bella."

"Remember what we talked about. We are sticking to the first floor today so you can get used to fighting in the Dungeon. The only things we are supposed to encounter are lone goblins. They don't spawn in groups and are the only hostile monster that spawns on this floor. You'll be doing all the fighting yourself. I won't step in unless it looks like you're going to get yourself killed. You got that?" He told her.

"Yes, Steve-san"

Bella nodded. They'd spent hours going over information and plans that she'd done her best to memorize.

"Alright then. Let's go." He said.

The two descended the stairs and into the Dungeon.

The information that Eina had given them said that the first floor looked like an underground cave with bluish walls and that description certainly fit. The wide hall that the info said was called the Beginning Road stretched out before them when they reached the bottom of the stairs.

"Head on a swivel, Bella" Steve remind her.

Trying to calm her nerves, Bella nodded and drew her dagger. She could still hear one of the first lessons Steve had given her. "Never sheath your weapon in a dangerous environment, Bella. If you think you might be ambushed, you either keep your weapon handy or have magic ready to cast. Drawing your weapon wastes precious time, so keep it ready." Bella didn't' know any magic yet, so she kept her dagger drawn and listened for the crack that signaled a monster spawning.

It wasn't until the corridor had started to thin out that she heard it. There was a soft crackling noise before, with a mighty CRACK a goblin burst out of the floor. Bella, used to monster encounters on the road, wasted no time. She burst forward, intending to skewer the goblin before it had a chance to react. She thrust with his dagger and… missed!? The goblin had jumped out of the way. Bella over-extended in her surprise and felt the goblin's claws rake across her shoulder before she could dodge.

She hissed at the stinging sensation as she rolled away from the goblin. Standing, she eyed it warily as she rolled her shoulder. It didn't seem to have done much damage physically, but she did feel embarrassed and angry. That had been a stupid mistake! Monsters in the Dungoen were faster and stronger than the ones on the surface. She knew that but, like an idiot, she had forgotten it.

The goblin leapt at her this time but, determined not to embarrass herself again, she was ready for it. She caught the goblins outstretched wrist and plunged her dagger into its neck. The goblin exploded into a shower of dust and a crystal dropped to the floor. Picking up the crystal, she glanced hesitantly up at Steve.

Steve was standing in exactly the same place. His arms crossed, he stared at Bella and raised an eyebrow.

"Do I even need to say it?" Steve said much for Bella to flushed with embarrassment.

"I'm sorry Steve-san. I got overconfident." She said as Steve stepped forward and put a hand on her head, patting it much to Bella liking.

"Being overconfident is a hallmark of the young, and making mistakes is how we learn. Never making the same mistake twice means we learned the lesson. Don't do that again, be grateful it wasn't a more painful mistake, and I'll consider it a lesson well learned." Steve said with a smile.