FOUR

You have the chance to put a fence between you and your family but you also have the chance to include a gate.

Present || Leonardo

I looked at the gates of the school before whispering a silent bye and heading towards the limo that had come to pick me up.

The driver offered to take my backpack but I refused, holding onto it tightly.

I stood by the car, waiting.

The driver looked at the watch on his wrist and sighed.

"Sir, we are going to be late, your father doesn't like tardiness."

I frowned, I couldn't leave Matteo. Where was he?

 Seeing him jog towards me, I breathed a sigh of relief. If I wasn't so glad to see him I'd be laughing at his state. Beads of sweat rolling down his face and he was panting for breath.

Gesturing him to get in first, he gave me a cheeky grin and I followed after, making sure to close the door.

I didn't miss the look of confusion on the driver's face before he got in and began to drive. Choosing to ignore it, I laid my head on my brother's shoulder and closed my eyes.

This was going to a long flight.

----

I was woken up with a gentle tap to my shoulder.

Flinching, I rubbed my eyes and came face to face with the driver.

Confusion was evident on his face but he didn't choose to question anything and cleared his throat. 

"Your father couldn't send the jet as it is being repaired but he did book you a first class ticket back to Italy. The flight from Canada to Italy is about eight hours or so. Will you be alright?"

I nodded and he sighed in relief.

"It was nice meeting you sir, have a safe flight. Here is your boarding pass." He smiled at me and bowed as I got out of the limo.

I grabbed my backpack and walked to where we were supposed to be waiting. It wasn't long before people began to file into the plane and we followed in suit.

I sat in the comfortable seat and sighed. 

A part of me was desperate to return but the other was frightened, would anything change when we got back home?

The stewardess came towards me and told me to put the safety belt on as the plane was about to leave.

I thanked her with a small smile and did so.

I looked at Matteo and whispered," I'm scared Teo."

He grabbed my hand and squeezed it reassuringly," Everything's going to be fine, don't worry."

His words did nothing to reassure me, I could see the panic in his eyes.

He too, was scared to return.

I kept holding his hand but looked out the plane window, admiring the clouds and the pinkish hue in the sky.

Italy here we come.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A black range rover was waiting for us and two big buff men got out. At first I thought one of them to be father but quickly relaxed when I saw their faces.

One of them cleared their throat," I'm sorry sir but your father was dealing with important clients, he sends his apologies."

I'm sure he did, I gave them a tight smile and sat in the car.

It had our family's logo on it so that did somewhat make me feel at ease. Though I wouldn't mind if they drove us somewhere else.

The two guards got in the front and passenger seat and began the drive home. Making sure they weren't looking, I got out an old cracked mirror and checked to see if my face was covered properly.

I couldn't let them see what a freak I was.

I smiled seeing that the concealer had done its job, covering up what it needed to.

Matteo whispered to me," Are you going to cover it up when we get back to the house?"

I mumbled a small 'yes.'

"What was that sir?" One of the guards asked me.

I shook my head at him and mumbled out," Nothing."

He nodded although his expression did give away a hint of concern.

I wasn't surprised, people would always look at me like I was crazy whenever I talked to Matteo.

I was used to it by now, it's probably because they don't understand why an amazing person like him would be talking to me.

He pities you that's why, a voice sneered.

I shook my head, trying to get rid of the bad thoughts.

The car ride was thankfully silent, they didn't try to get me to speak and in no time we had arrived back 'home.'

I was shocked to see it took us two hours to get here, time went by so fast. Gulping, I took hold of my backpack and got out of the car.

I took in the house I had not seen for seven years, it didn't look at all different from the last time I saw it.

It was still as big as ever, the water fountain in its usual place, neat cut grass and bushes up surrounded the outskirts and the gates stood tall and proud.

Father was still as rich as I remembered him to be.

Makes sense when he owns so many businesses.

I tightened my hold on my backpack and made my way to the front door. Ringing the doorbell, I waited patiently for somebody to open the door, silently hoping it wouldn't be any of my brothers.

I looked at Matteo in slight panic when the door began to open but he gave me a reassuring smile.

The door opened to reveal a tall definitely over six feet, giant and I was met once again with a pair of dark blue eyes.

Giovanni glared at me before turning around and leaving me at the doorstep.

I was just thankful he didn't do anything.

I stood in my place, unmoving before I heard a groan," Hurry up, I don't have all day."

I flinched at his tone and quickly followed him into the house.

He walked in front of me, not caring to see if I was following him or not, he led me to the first floor and directed me to my bedroom.

"Dinner's at seven, meet us in the dining room. Don't be late." He glared at me one final time before leaving and slamming my door shut.

I flinched at the loud noise before setting my backpack on my bed.

It wasn't that different from last time.

Dark blue walls, a queen sized bed, an empty bookcase and walk-in closet.

Those'll probably stay that way until I can save up enough money to buy new clothes.

I didn't unpack, just took out my mothers photo and placed it on my bedside drawer.

Who knows how long I'll be staying for?

Upon closer inspection, there was no dust anywhere.  Did they have someone clean my room before I came?

My heart slightly swelled at the thought.

Maybe they did care about me.

************************************

Please vote and comment 💞