That Girl....

She wore a turmeric coloured turban, with a red and brown open jacket, but, without anything underneath it. It covered the important bits of her magnifique, but exposed enough to be too bold. It was like those open jackets that the Rajasthani men wore. The same on a woman would have been outrageous, as Arshya observed. He was lying on his mattress in his house when the girl appeared in his window. She was too fair for a Rajasthani girl, in fact, Arshya thought she had light pink skin. She was fair, but not so much that she was pale. She smiled at him through the window. Raising her eyebrows once, she asked, "You up?"

Arshya sat up, and studied her face intently. She had a maroon teardrop shaped bindi, and on her chin were five dots of mascara arranged like a trapezoid with one in the middle. That uniqueness already had Arshya intrigued. He got up and went to the window. She smiled at him again. Arshya found himself flushed red.

"Your name, what is it?" He asked.

"Madhuri. You?"

The way she said, she sounded like a royal to Arshya. He was always called Arshya by his family, but at that moment he felt that was too lowly.

"Arshitrao."

"Hehe. Nice name. I was just passing by your house and saw you awake. So I thought why not have a chat."

"Where are you going?"

"Home. I'm not from around here so I can't navigate around easily."

"Do your parents let you out at this time?"

"I don't have to worry about that. Do yours?"

"Oh yes they do. I asked because they don't let my sisters who are elder to me out."

"Huh. Don't worry that's common. Wanna get out?"

"Well, I mean, since I can, but my family will hear me getting out. They definitely won't let me go out at midnight to talk to a girl."

"Ha. That's very specific. But don't worry about your parents. I'll just pull you out through the window."

"What? I don't fit through-"

Arshya didn't have time to complete when Madhuri grabbed his hands and pulled him through his window. He was stunned for a moment, and as he looked around, he was outside, in one piece.

"Baapre baapre baapre, how did you do that?" Arshya was still in shock, because he had just passed through his window like it was nothing.

"Come on, na. Doesn't matter. Where do you like to hang out? I thought that we should hang out for sometime before I leave."

Arshya never gave up a chance to go to his favourite place, the hill. Arshya had once scaled it alone, and the best he got was a scolding for endangering himself. But he liked it. He would do it again.

"There's a hill nearby. Let's go there, the view is amazing from there."

"Alright. Let's go!" Madhuri chirped.

Arshya liked her enthusiasm. Almost everyone who knew that Arshya liked to go up the hill only told him to stay away from it. But Madhuri here, she was encouraging him. Her enthusiasm and admiration for his likings made him feel something different.

Nevertheless, they climbed up the hill. It was a short trek, during which Arshya noticed Madhuri wore a dhoti and mojaris for footwear. Arshya compared her regal shoes to his nonexistent ones. Through the trek, they chatted like old friends catching up after a long time. They finally reached the peak, and Arshya showed the area around.

"Are you sure you're not uncomfortable in that?" Arshya asked.

"Not at all. That's nice of you to ask."