Ten

I sleep in the next morning. The sun's pouring through the windows and lighting up the room. Belly's gone. I wonder whether she already woke up or maybe she never came back last night.

Downstairs, Jeremiah is already awake, looking more lively and back to himself than he was yesterday. Belly, Steven, and Conrad are also there. Everyone is eating cereal.

"Good morning guys." I sit down beside them and pull the Cheerios towards me. "What's the plan for today?"

"Steve-O and I have off of work," Jeremiah says.

Conrad shrugs. "I don't have anything going on either."

"Belly?" I ask, stealing a glance at Jeremiah who nods approvingly at me. I can tell he's glad that I'm trying to speak with her.

"Well, Cam and I have been talking on the phone lately, and he was telling me about a party tonight." She wasn't talking directly to me, but she made eye contact once.

"A party?" Steven repeats, looking at the boys and grinning. "I'm in."

"I didn't invite you," Belly says, elbowing Steven.

"Yeah, but you know you want us there," he tells her.

"We're a lot more exciting than Cam Cameron is," Jeremiah adds. "No offense, Bells."

"I'll go if you guys go," says Conrad. I look at him, surprised, and he grins at me. "Kris included."

Jeremiah and Steven both look at Belly. What she says will make or break tonight's plan. Does she really want me there?

Belly drops her spoon in her bowl and rolls her eyes, acting defeated. "Whatever. Come, but don't embarrass me." She aims her instruction at the boys which relieves me.

I'm going to my first party tonight.

~

Belly is doing her makeup by the mirror in our room. She's already dressed up. I'm trying to decide on my own clothes, and finally choose a pair of jeans and a yellow blouse.

By the time I'm dressed, Belly is sitting on our bed with her phone. She looks up at me. "Cute shirt," she says.

"Thanks," I answer back, shyly. All day she was with Cam and I haven't spoken with her since breakfast. I feel sad thinking about the week we wasted without talking to each other. "You look nice too, Belly."

She smiles and looks in the direction of our mirror, adjusting a piece of her hair. "Ready to go?" she asks.

I didn't get a chance to do anything to my face or hair and I realize it's almost time to go. "In a sec. I'll meet you downstairs," I say and hurry to put on one coat of mascara and finger through my hair. I put a scrunchie around my wrist in case I need to pull it up later. The party was inside, so it might get warm right? Unless the air conditioner was running, then would I need a sweater?

My phone buzzes and I see it's a group chat between all of us kids, including an unknown number who I assume to be Cam. My brothers and Steven are waiting for me in Jere's Jeep and Belly already left with Cameron. I slip on my sandals and run downstairs, calling to Mom and Laurel before I leave.

"See you later!"

"Bye, Sweetie. Stay safe, okay?"

Mom and Laurel know about the party this time around, even though Mom doesn't know about the last time. Actually, Laurel still doesn't know that I knew about it. As long as we are mature and careful, and that the party isn't in danger of being busted, we can go. Mom is always okay with that sort of thing, she just wants us to have fun. Laurel is the more strict parent, but I noticed she's been going along with more of Mom's ideas this summer.

"I will, Mom. Bye, Laurel." I see Laurel wave back to me before I leave the house. In the car, the front seat was left open for me this time.

"All set?" Jeremiah asks me before he pulls out of the driveway.

"Yup," I say, hurrying to buckle in.

"So," Steven pops his head between us. "Some party tips for beginners–"

"I thought we agreed to call it Party Tips 101," Conrad says.

"Same thing," Steven rolls his eyes and points back at Conrad. "This guy, am I right?"

"Anyways," I prod him to tell me his tips. I feel a little like a baby needing this information, but at least they care and want me to know.

"The coolers are probably all gonna have beer."

"Which you're not gonna drink," Jeremiah says. "I have some water in the backseat."

"Everyone's probably gonna be drunk or drinking," Steven continues before I can break in.

"Except for the DDs," Jeremiah interrupts again.

I hold up my hand. "Pause. Who's our DD?"

"Probably me. 'Cause I can still have fun sober,"
Jeremiah answers. "Continuing, do not go into any bedrooms. Stay with the crowd."

I cringe and don't argue back. Steven and Jeremiah continue to tell me what to and what not to do for the rest of the ride. Basically, I wasn't allowed to drink and I had to be with one of them at all times.

When we get to the party, Jeremiah parks on the road because there's no room in the driveway. Conrad's the first one out of the car.

"C'mon," he waves me over. "Let's get inside."