Twenty One

Cam Cameron never came over for Belly's birthday. Not that I would've seen him, because I stayed in my room all day, but because I knew that if he'd come over he'd have come upstairs to say hi. That was Cam, kind and thoughtful.

It didn't surprise me when I heard they broke up. I wasn't sure who broke up with who, because I'd been distancing myself from everyone. But it didn't take much to convince me that it was probably Belly, because she'd lost feelings. Did she ever have feelings to begin with? Poor Cam.

Laurel seemed to worry about me before Mom, coming up to my room to ask if I was feeling alright, bringing me snacks like chocolate, and asking if I wanted to talk about anything.

"I'm alright, Laur, just exhausted. I think the summer's catching up with me," I'd tell her.

Mom finally seemed to realize something was off when I missed one of our last Debutante preparation days.

"Kristy." It's 10am, and I was supposed to leave with Belly at 9:30. Mom sits on the edge of my bed with a crease on her forehead. "What's the matter?" she asks me.

I prop myself up with my pillow. "I think I'm over the debutante thing, Mom," I tell her.

She frowns. "Did I force you into it?"

"No," I answer quickly. "I wanted to do it. I just think it just didn't suit me–I mean, I couldn't even find a date for the dance."

"I'm sure Jere could dance with you," Mom tells me hopefully.

"Jere?" My own brother? Sometimes I wonder what goes through Mom's head. I mean, sure, she didn't grow up with brothers, but I'm sure if she did, she wouldn't wanna dance with them either.

"Well, I asked Connie if he would go with Belly. It's obvious how they both see each other, and I thought it would help push things along," Mom explains but suddenly stops. "What?"

My eyes had widened and I quickly fix my appearance. "That's not what I meant, Mom."

I'm not sure what to say. She really set up Conrad and Belly? I'm not sure how it sits with me, Mom playing their matchmaker. But good for them, I guess.

"Mom," I continue. It would disappoint her, I know, but at least Belly was still dedicated to it, right? "I just don't want to be a Deb anymore, I'm sorry."

Mom nods her understanding and pats the top of my hand. "It's okay, Kristy. I'm glad you at least gave it a try." She smiles and invites me to join her and Laurel for brunch in a few minutes. Maybe Conrad would join them too, if I go. Jeremiah is gone, he dropped Belly off at the club on his way to work.

Laurel is making french toast, my favorite of her meals. I send Conrad a text, even though we're barely across the hall from one another.

Me: French toast soon. Join us in 15?

Con: Laurel's?

Me: You know it.

Con: Sure.

At breakfast, Mom and Laurel ask Conrad what he's going to wear for the dance. I realize these plans must have been set a while ago.

"I was gonna ask Dad to send my suit from prom here," Conrad says, dipping a stick of toast into a dish of syrup. Laurel always cut his french toast into sticks. It's been a thing since he was little. "Is that okay?"

I can tell Mom wanted to take him shopping, but she hides it well as she responds, "Of course. Good thinking Connie."

"Belly still needs to buy a dress," Laurel adds with a sigh. "But you can take that girl shopping every day for a week, and she will never make up her mind."