004. | EMERGENCY? REALLY?

It was about three in the morning, and it was Aliana's second day of being on-call

It was about three in the morning, and it was Aliana's second day of being on-call. After the group chat had finally quieted down, she managed to get about seven more hours of sleep before her pager buzzed, and she was called in back to the hospital.

A man aged forty had been rushed into the emergency room, not too long after Aliana was paged.

In the sterile operation room, the symphony of beeping monitors and hushed voices sounded. She and all other staff were fully focused on the patient, Aliana kept checking to make sure his vitals were fine.

They'd already concluded that the man would stay stable throughout the surgery, but they couldn't be careful enough.

Amidst the controlled chaos an nursing-intern came rushing through the doors, the young man held a medical face-mask in front of his mouth to keep the room sterile.

"Nurse Robbins," The intern said, trying to get Aliana's attention. "Your phone has been going off." He held up her phone in the air. "Like, constantly."

Aliana didn't look away once from the screens that were monitoring her patient, "Well, I'm kind of busy. Farrell." She tried to dismiss the intern. Just because the patient on the table was stable for now, didn't mean he'd stay that way.

The intern sounded out of breath, probably from the sprint he had just ran. "I am aware, sorry Nurse Robbins." He apologised, lowering her phone out of the air.

With a quick, apologetic glance at her colleague, she replied, "I can't check my phone right now; I'm in the middle of surgery. Please ask them to call the hospital's emergency line if it's truly urgent."

"It just says that it's an emergency." The intern explained, hoping he didn't make a fool out of himself for nothing.

Aliana sighed, "Context please, I'm still very busy here and so are the surgeons." She said, this time a little nicer to the kid who probably only was two or three years younger than herself.

The kid unlocked the phone, as it didn't have a passcode for emergency reasons like this and opened the messages app. "Uuhh, this group chat named.." He started reading the messages, "Riccard..hoes?" He asked, unsure about the name."