THE SELF DESTRUCT BUTTON

If there is something I know for sure is that we, human beings, have a destructive nature.

I woke up in my bed, I barely slept because Meredith had the brilliant idea to have very loud sex with Stone.
I went down to the kitchen and found Izzy and George were staring at the coffee pot.
"Morning" I said. "You get any sleep?"
"Oh, she could oil the bedsprings as a courtesy or at least buy a padded headboard." Said Izzy.
"So who's the guy?" Asked George. I shrugged even though I obviously knew who it was.
"You think it was just one guy doing all that work?" Izzy said.
"Yeah, do you mind if I don't think about that?"
"Ooh, jealous?" I mocked.
"I'm not jealous."
"Well, I am. But at least I know she'll be having a long day at work." Said Izzy.
We hear the stair creak. Fuck. "We shouldn't—" I tried. But they were already at the door trying to sneak a look at Meredith's mystery man, when they saw Dr. Timothy Stone.
"Well, at least we know surgery isn't his only skill."
"They can't be...He's her boss." Said George.
"We're late. He's all of our boss. You know she has been scrubbing in a lot lately on his surgeries."
"Just because they are shagging, it doesn't mean she's getting special treatment." I said.
"No, Meredith wouldn't sleep with him just to...No."
"Well, if she's not ashamed of it, why is she keeping it a secret?"
"Maybe because she thought you'd react like you are now. Just drop it, alright?" I said.
"Or maybe she didn't. Maybe it just happened. You know, spontaneously, last night." Added George. Meredith enters kitchen.
"Hi. Good morning."
"Morning. Hey, so it sounded like you were having some pretty radical sex last night, all night long. Who was the guy?" Said Izzy
"no one you know."
"We're late. Let's go."
"What's the matter with them?" Meredith asked me.
"They saw Tim sneak out."

I mean, if life's so hard already, why do we bring more trouble down on ourselves? What's up with the need to hit the self-destruct button?

*

We arrived at work and got out of the car. Cristina was on the parking lot on her motorcycle.

"Damn, wouldn't want to meet you in a dark alley." I told her.
"Right back at ya." She said. Alex jogs up to us.
"A run? You run?" Said Izzy in disbelief.
"Every day, babe, every day."
"Not suffering enough?" Asked Meredith.
"What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger."
"Has anyone told you that you're a git?" I said.
"No, but anything that comes from your mouth sounds so dirty." I rolled my eyes.
"Don't go acting all indefatigable. You're dragging like the rest of us." Said Cristina.
"Oh, what is that, professional weakness, Dr. Yang?"
"It's called the flu."

*

We were in the locker room. "I'm gonna need a major rush to make it through this day. I need a kick-ass surgery." Complained George.
"Ooh, you a bad boy last night, George?" Alex joked.
"That would be Meredith." Said Izzy
"You a bad boy, Meredith?"
"Do tell." Said Cristina
"Nothing to tell."
"That says it all, huh?"
"Sorry, I have a sex life."
"Don't apologize. Embrace it. Share it. Count me in." Said Alex
"Yeah, next time, just let me know if I need to go to a hotel so I can get some sleep." Said Izzy and left. Cristina, Meredith and I were left in the locker room.
"You having a sex life isn't the issue. It's who it is with." I said.
"They know it's McHottie keeping them up all night?" Asked Cristina.
"Yeah. I already have Bailey riding me, I don't need my roommates thinking I'm getting special treatment."
"You could have been more discrete." I said.
"Bailey knows about you too."
"Yeah. But at least we weren't caught at work and our roommates don't know about me. Besides, Bailey is making you suffer more than me for some reason."

*

"O'Malley, Yang, Karev, go on to clinic."
"You three come with me." She told Meredith, Izzy and I. "Izzie, you're hanging with me today. Good morning, Dr. Stone."
"Dr. Bailey."
"Late night, Grey?" She said when Stone left.
"No, caffeine just hasn't kicked in yet."
"If you're at all religious, you would want to start praying it kicks in soon. There's a consult in the pit. Girl with a fever and abdominal pain. After that, Nicholas in 3311 needs his meds. Mr. Moeller's IV fell out, and he's a hard stick. Postops in 1337, 3342, 3363, and 2381.
"381. 3342, 3363, and 23..."
"Why are you still standing in front of me?" Meredith leaves. She turns to me. "Parks, you do post ops in 4562, 3454, 4987, 2190 and... why aren't you writing this down?!"
"Oh don't worry. I have a good memory."
" Photographic?" she asked frustrated.
"No, but it is above average. And my IQ is 153"
"Just... just go. And then head to the clinic with the rest."