Ch. 8 - Sized Up

Oscar did feel some guilt for bailing when he did, but he had to. The Devil's Rejects didn't like cops. Didn't call the cops, didn't talk to the cops, didn't know any cops, didn't even associate with anybody who associated with cops...and he figured that they should hear about what happened to Daryl from one of their own, first. So, as much as he hated to leave Max alone to handle the police, he knew he had to.

"They don't say anything about how he died in the one I saw," one of the senior members of the gang commented before taking a drag from his bummed Camel Light.

"Fucking moron," Victor grumbled as he looked over the news feed on his phone. "What were you even fucking doing down there?"

"I was just hanging out with a friend! What, is that against the creed or something?"

"Drop the attitude. One of our own is dead, and you were involved. Give me one reason I shouldn't cut you loose right now."

"Vick, listen," Charley said as he leaned in and began whispering something. The two of them murmured a little as Victor studied Oscar closely before nodding.

"Right... well, no love lost for Daryl, he's been a liability for a while... But apparently he's been waving your dues. So, Oscar, tell ya what I'm going to do. I'm willing to forget all this, as long as you clear up your debt with the club which is..." Victor looked pointedly at his treasurer who was busy running the numbers.

"Eleven thousand three hundred and fifty seven dollars," said the treasurer.

"There, that's what you owe. Get it to me by the end of month, or you hand in your jacket. Dismissed."

Victor, and the few others who had shown up to the emergency meeting, collected their things and left the club house. But Oscar hung around a little while longer until Charley came out.

"Charles! Charley! Wait up!" Oscar called as he saw him heading to his bike. "How the hell am I supposed to pay that shit off?"

"Look, Oscar... We all gotta pay our dues. Victor's giving you a chance to stay in. Considering everything... you're pretty lucky."

"Everything?" Oscar chuffed. "The hell does that mean?"

"Never mind that. Just leave it be, and do what Vic asked."

"Dude, where am I going to get that kind of money?"

"Don't worry, I'll get you a list of cars... You lift 'em and I'll make sure the cash gets recorded towards your debt. You'll be free and clear before the end of the month," Charley assured as he put on his helmet. "Now, go home and take care of that nose! I'll call ya in the morning."