Ch. 38 - What's Good?

"Where are we going?" Max asked when he realized they weren't heading to the address given in the text—an intersection just passed the airport in north Glasspoint

His dad didn't even look up from his phone. "The waffle house downtown," James said, "Sounds like Kingsport PD is already there," he added, hitting a few more buttons before holding his phone up to his ear.

That was right...Oz and Elise liked that crummy little place... Why hadn't Max thought of that?

"Wherever they have her, it's not in Glasspoint," Darren said from the seat in front of Max. Petie was driving, and Duncan was driving Rory in the black SUV behind them.

"But if we go to the waffle house..." Max led.

"Someone who saw who took 'er will give up some information," Darren finished.

It made sense, but Max was a mess. He wasn't thinking. His mind was stuck on that image of Oscar. He tried Oz's phone again... Nothing... Same fucking computer lady and that brief clip of Oz's voice... That couldn't be the last time he'd hear his punk... He refused.

Petie pulled them up to one of the patrol cars parked in front of the waffle house when they arrived, and James lowered his window to talk to the officer that came over and leaned in.

"A couple who was also seated near their table made the call, but they couldn't give us much to go off of."

"And the staff?" James asked, pulling out his cigarette case. He looked calm as ever. There was no way he could be, but he looked it. Max couldn't be calm.

"If any of them saw anything, they aren't saying so, Mr. Gallagher," the officer replied.      

Max was so fucking not calm that he couldn't stand it.

Before he could even think a second longer on it, he'd already opened the door and was getting out of the car.

"Marcus!" his dad called, and he heard another door open behind him. Probably Darren's.

Max pushed the door to the waffle house open so hard on his way in that it's handle smacked the wall, startling some of the diners inside.

"Who was serving their table?" Max demanded of the tall skinny kid with long acrylic nails standing behind the counter where the cash register and glass case were, featuring a variety of pies and cakes.

"Uh... Who's?"

"Where's the server?" Max growled, causing the boy to flinch back and point towards a maple laminated swing door with a little plaque on it that read, "staff only".

Max came bursting into the kitchen, causing one woman to shriek in surprise, and one of the cooks to swear.

"We already answered your questions," one of the women said, crossing her arms in front of herself.