Chapter 16

"So, Hunter, I heard you were the one who asked Sapph out."

I glared at my big brother. Really?

We were having a barbecue in the backyard. Sam would be driving back to the city for work tomorrow evening. Lia's mother was a lawyer, and she insisted on volunteering her services to take care of the case against Jake and his friend. So Sam wouldn't have to stay behind.

After Hunter had a good work out and Emma and I had a long chat that made me feel infinitely better, we drove right here to find Sam, Stefan, Scott and Jason setting up the grill in the backyard.

Jason and my brothers were grilling meat and chicken. Sam, Hunter and I sat around the small table in the backyard patio. A pot of soup and a bowl were set in front of me. Jason's mom had sent the soup. She said it should be easier for my stomach and she was right. A plate of grilled meat and fries was on the table as well, and just looking at it made my stomach roil. The smell of the barbecue didn't help either.

Sam didn't waste any time in beginning his investigation. I was just glad the boys were too excited for the barbecue to join us.

"I did," Hunter replied to Sam's question, cutting into his steak. Cheddar sat by his feet, gobbling up the pieces of meat Hunter smuggled his way. Hunter would be his new favorite person.

"You like her."

I groaned. "Sam!"

"I do," Hunter said, unfazed.

"You're very chatty, aren't you?"

Hunter shrugged. Sam looked at me, his eyes amused. "I always thought your first boyfriend would be someone more..."

I rolled my eyes and ate a spoonful of the soup. It was warm and smooth. As expected. Jason's mom was a terrific cook.

"More what?" I asked.

"More like Jason, I guess," Sam said.

I frowned. Jason, who was coming over with another hefty plate, said, "Ew, Sam! Gross!"

Sam laughed. "I didn't say you, you idiot. Someone like you. Someone cheerful and outgoing and-"

"Okay, stop. You're being rude," I said, kicking his leg under the table.

Sam looked at Hunter, who was chewing on his steak evenly. "Am I being rude, Hunter?"

Hunter shrugged. "Probably. But I don't care. You're right. Sapphire deserves a lot better."

"That's such a cheesy line, Jamison," Jason said, depositing the plate and taking the last seat between Sam and me.

Sam frowned. "You're a Jamison?"

Hunter nodded.

Sam raised his brow at me. "Hmm. I didn't know my little sister was a gold digger."

I choked on air. I was going to kill my older brother.

Hunter chuckled a little. Sam cocked his head to the side, looking at Hunter as if seeing him for the first time. He opened his mouth. Oh, no. Enough was enough.

"So, Jason, how's your basketball practice?" I asked, looking pointedly at Sam. He grinned.

Jason snorted. "Since when are you interested in basketball?"

"Or football," Scott said, ambling closer with a chicken leg in his hand. He bit into it, standing over us. "All she cares about is boxing."

"What are you, a neanderthal?" I asked. He chewed and took another massive bite, his cheeks bulging.