Chapter 42

Scott and Jason walked inside our house like they owned the place.

"So this is where you've kidnapped my sister," Scott said, looking around the living room. He gave the couch, the lone piece of furniture in the space, a pointed look. "Can't afford furniture, Jamison?"

Hunter rolled his eyes. Stevie and Brownie were in the backyard, and Tux had disappeared inside his bathroom as soon as he heard the sound of foreign voices.

Hunter and I were still looking at furniture. We ordered some things, but they hadn't arrived yet. I pushed my brother and Jason towards the couch. Hunter disappeared in the kitchen. "Sit Down, Scott. Why are you here anyway?"

They plopped down. "I just want to check on you."

Hunter came back with two cans of coke and a bottle of water. He handed me the water and threw the two cokes to the guys.

Hunter and I sat down. Scott leaned forward and fixed us with a scowl. "So... you two are dating? For real?"

"No, we're just faking it." I rolled my eyes. "And you are here because?"

"Rude," Jason said, opening his can. He stretched his legs and put his feet on the table. "We're guests, Sapph. Have some manners."

"You dropped on us uninvited," I said and shoved his feet off. "And get your nasty feet off my table."

Jason grinned. "Your table?"

Ugh. I stood up. "Make yourselves at home, assholes. Are you staying for lunch?"

"Yes," was their immediate reply. They never turned down food. They were lucky I liked feeding other people.

I went straight to the kitchen. The three guys' voices melted to the background. They made sure I wouldn't hear them. Scott knew I would to kick him out if he raised any trouble.

I took out ingredients from the fridge. Hunter kept the fridge stocked. He visited the farmer's market more often than I did, and he ordered many things online from local farmers all over the world.

It was nice not having to worry about making time for groceries in my busy week, and Hunter spoiled me with all sorts of top tier ingredients I would otherwise not have the funds for.

He even imported a load of pure cocoa powder and cocoa beans from a local farm in Cuba. He'd spent some time there training, and he knew the farmer personally. Trying to make our own chocolate at home was fun.

I got some homemade tortilla wraps and set up all the veggies I'd need for veggie wraps. Cooking helped me unwind, and as I went through the familiar motions, the guys' conversations faded to the background and my muscles relaxed.

Thirty minutes later, the veggies and the sauce were ready. I let out a breath and stepped back from the counter. The guys were no longer in the living room. I took it as a good sign that I hadn't heard any yelling.

I made my way to the back porch. Jason was playing with the two dogs, and Scott and Hunter were speaking to the side. Surprisingly, both had calm expressions. I guess they finally decided to grow up.

After a moment, Hunter and Scott shook hands, and Scott actually slapped Hunter's back in that brotherly manner. I rubbed my eyes. Was I seeing things?

Hunter walked over to me. He hugged me tightly, pressing his lips to my temple.

"You're not punching each other," I said.

"We're grown ass men," Hunter said. "We can talk without punching each other."

I snorted. "Right."

He smiled and nodded his head toward my brother, who was on top of the small bridge over the pond, leaning his elbows on the railing. "Why don't you have a chat with him? I'll finish up lunch."