Chapter 33

Brownie ambled back through the back door, followed closely by Stevie. Tails wagging, they sat down next to our stools like good little dogs and looked at Hunter.

"No table scraps for you today," he said. "The vet will have my ass."

I snorted. It was clear the dogs were used to table scraps. I cut two small pieces of salmon and dropped them for the dogs. They inhaled them. Hunter raised his brows.

"It's fine as long as it's a little treat," I said. "Also, it'll make them like me."

We had our dinner in peace, then cleaned up the kitchen. It was difficult to remember that Hunter and I had been apart for ten whole years. We worked together so well, our movements in sync. The sound of the water running, the clatter of dishes. It was such a mundane moment, yet it was the most peaceful I felt in years.

After we were done, I folded the dishtowel on the counter. "Well, it's been a nice evening. I should go."

Hunter dropped some trash in the bin under the sink. "Why don't you spend the night?"

I gave him a flat look. "No."

He sighed. "It's almost midnight. You're tired. I'm tired. Just crash here. I promise my dogs won't devour you in your sleep. Right, Brownie?"

Hearing her name, Brownie barked once, her tail wagging. What a cute girl. I opened my mouth to argue.

I would drive all the way to the city in Hunter's car because I couldn't ride a cab, so Hunter would have to drive back here.

It would be well past midnight. He would be tired, sleepy. My heart raced from all the scenarios of what could go wrong on the drive. Car accident. Hospital. Phone ringing with bad news. My lungs screamed for air. I closed my eyes and focused on my surroundings. The cold counter, the drip of the tap, Hunter's smell.

I forced a deep breath. In and out. In and out. Until the tightness in my chest subsided. I opened my eyes. Hunter was watching me, his eyes knowing.

"I'll spend the night," I said. I kept saying yes to him, even though I told myself I shouldn't.

"Great," he said. "I don't have any furniture in the guest bedrooms, and I take it you won't spend the night in my bedroom-"

"Don't push it."

"Right." He cleared his throat. "I'll get you some blankets and a pillow. The couch should be comfortable. I crashed on it many times."

The thought of Hunter sleeping on his couch in his big, empty house made my heart ache.

He could have everything. He was successful, young, rich, handsome. Above all, he was a decent guy. By all means, he could've settled down with a nice girl and had the horde of children he'd always dreamt of.

Yet here he was, living alone in a half furnished house that felt too big and empty for him.

I used the bathroom and brushed my teeth using a spare toothbrush Hunter got for me. There were two bathroom downstairs, one was occupied by Tux, who didn't show his face. So I used the other, changing into Hunter's t-shirt and sweatpants.

I looked ridiculous, with the big t-shirt and the rolled up pants. But I was comfortable. And if I kept sniffing Hunter's scent on the clothes, it was a momentary weakness on my heart's part due to the late night and the heavy discussion we'd had on the way over.

Ready for bed, I went to back to the living room. Hunter was sitting on the couch, two blankets and a pillow stacked at the end of it. He held the remote, the low sound of the TV droned in the background. He looked up at me and his lips twitched.