2 - Glitter

The porch creaked under our feet and I shined my flashlight down so Emily could avoid spots with missing boards.

"I hope the floor inside isn't this wrecked," she said.

"Why are you whispering?" Nolan halted. With his light pointed up at his face, he used his best scary story voice to ask, "Do you think you can hide from the monsters that live here?" Before cackling like a cartoon villain.

Lauren smacked his arm. "I'm with her; it seems like we should be quiet."

"Okay, but I'm pretty sure if monsters are here, they've already seen us." He stepped aside to give everyone space in the musty foyer.

Our two flashlight beams roamed the empty room. Cobwebs hung from the ceiling, and a thick layer of dust covered every available surface, including the hardwood floor. At least it appeared more solid—there were no missing boards.

I examined the wooden staircase leading to the second level as Nolan passed through a wide doorway on the other side of the room. "Hey guys, there's stuff in here."

We followed Nolan to an eat-in kitchen that was still in decent shape. There was a round oak table with five chairs and five dusty but colorful placemats. A little rug with fringe ends lay in front of the sink.

One of the cabinets hung open, revealing shelves with mugs and glasses, and a tea towel was draped over the oven handle like someone had just been cooking. It was as though people still lived there, except for the coating of dust, and the glaring empty space where the refrigerator would stand.

Emily towed me along as she crossed the room and opened a folding pantry door. Inside were rows of sealed glass jars just like the ones Mom used the summer she and I grew cucumbers, and canned pickles. We ended up with so many she'd give a jar to anyone she talked to and announce that I'd helped with the whole process, causing my seven-year-old chest to puff up with pride as she ruffled my hair.

The dark, unrecognizable mush that filled these jars replaced the fresh green pickles of my memory, and the smile fell from my face.

Emily's nose wrinkled at the discolored contents. "Yuck. That stuff's out of date."

"It's kind of sad," I said.

"What is?"

"This." I waved at the jars and everything else. "A family lived here. Someone decorated with rugs and matching towels, and it's all left behind, forgotten."

My spine went rigid under a sudden chill. Goosebumps pebbled my skin, and I had to remind myself we were alone. It was only an old house.

"That is sad." Emily curled into me, and warmth spread through my chest, overpowering the cold air.

"What happened to the family?" Lauren straightened a placemat and frowned. "I mean, if they moved, wouldn't they have taken all of this with them?"

"We know what happened." Nolan stopped rifling through cabinets. "The monsters ate them." Without warning, he growled and bent to nibble Lauren's shoulder.

She squealed and elbowed his chest. "Cut it out, you goof!" She dissolved into giggles as he growled again, holding her and covering her neck in little bites.

A loud thump echoed upstairs. We froze and faced the ceiling, all playfulness gone.

"What was that?" Emily whispered, pressing tighter against my side.

I slung my arm over her shoulders. "Probably just the wind or an animal."

"Like a bear?" Lauren squeaked.