3 - Sharing

My phone buzzed, and I peeked over to where it rattled on the nightstand in my dark room. Reluctantly, I stretched my arm out from the warmth of the covers and pressed accept to stop the sound. "Hello?"

"Dude! What happened last night?" Nolan asked as his storm door squeaked closed and the tweeting of birds told me he'd stepped out on his front stoop. "Was I more stoned than I thought, or did weird shit go down?"

I rolled my eyes. "Didn't Lauren make you quit?"

"Nah. I just can't smoke around her. She's afraid she'll get a contact high and go all paranoid again."

"It probably wouldn't kill you to quit, anyway."

"Guess we'll never know." Nolan chuckled, then there was the flick of a lighter and a long inhale.

I sat up and leaned against the cold, metal headboard. "What time is it?"

"Almost six," he rasped without exhaling. "I couldn't sleep."

"Well, I could until an idiot woke me up."

He blew out a slow breath. "I'm serious, man. Was that real? I spent half the night telling myself it didn't happen."

"Which part? The house freaking out on us, or you knocking Lauren down?"

Nolan let out a loud huff. "Shit, dude, she's going to kill me. She won't even answer her phone."

"She was pretty pissed." I grinned, remembering Lauren's furious expression when she punched Nolan. She was usually sweet, but I'd hate to be on her bad side.

"What should I do? Flowers, maybe?"

"I'm not sure since I've never had to apologize for pushing a girl over." I almost felt guilty, but giving him a hard time was too much fun.

"Screw you, man. That shit's not helpful."

I snickered. "Sorry. I have no suggestions on how to fix this."

"Whatever. Is that place haunted, or what?"

I weighed my response, careful not to encourage a return trip. "Something was weird. Why? Are you planning to go again?"

"Hell no. I'm not even telling anyone we were there. I'll never live this crap down."

Relief filled me with his answer as a knock sounded at the door. "Come in."

"You're up early," Dad said loud enough for Nolan to hear before noticing I was on the phone.

Nolan coughed. "Tell Marc I said what's up."

"Nolan says hi, Dad."

"Hey, kiddo." Dad waved and turned to the shelves that held my track trophies and a few framed pictures.

He glanced over them, running a finger over one he'd taken of Mom and me. I was riding my bike without training wheels for the first time, and she stood behind me, waving her arms in the air in celebration.

Dad and I had worked on it all day, but I was too nervous. When Mom got home, she held the back of my seat and ran with me until I asked her to let go. I could still hear her voice cheering me on when I looked at that photo.

Shaking the thought from my brain, I told Nolan, "Later, dude. Good luck with Lauren."

He sighed. "Thanks. Later."

I hung up and faced Dad. "You're working Saturday again?"

"Yep." The bed dipped under his weight as he sat on the edge, bringing the scent of soap and mint with him. "So, how was your date? Did you guys have fun?"