the midnight prank

─── THE MIDNIGHT PRANK
(⌗ ♥︎! )一 gilmore girls

Jess Mariano had always wanted to pull this one prank—a fake crime scene, simply to cause chaos with it—and what better time to do it than when he's brand new in a place where everyone seems to dislike him? And what better day than on the annivers...

Jess Mariano had always wanted to pull this one prank—a fake crime scene, simply to cause chaos with it—and what better time to do it than when he's brand new in a place where everyone seems to dislike him? And what better day than on the anniversary of the night he has spent years wishing he could erase from his memory?

Or at least that had been the conclusion he had come to a few days prior while on his way to Stars Hollow's only bus stop, as he was about to visit Hartford to get all the supplies he would need.

For the following days, he hid all the materials in his backpack, which he took with him to school to keep away from Luke's reach—and kept an eye on at all times while at the apartment. Jess had also stayed up for a few nights to figure out what the perfect time to pull his prank without being seen would be.

11:30, because everyone in town went to bed way too early.

On the night of the prank, Jess snook out a little bit before midnight, and, while the town seemed to be dead sleep, he still decided to walk around to check that there was no one who would see him.

It was, then, as he walked through the town square, on his way to the place the prank would take place at—Doose's Market—that he heard a strange noise coming from near the gazebo.

Slowly, he walked towards the noise, realizing, as he got closer, that it wasn't a strange noise but one he was quite familiar with. He'd heard it before. Many times, actually. And, just like it used to break his heart, it broke it into a million pieces all over again.

It wasn't a strange noise; it was sobs.

And they belonged to Amara.

Amara, who he found sitting in on the gazebo's floor at an angle from which no one would see her unless they were walking close by, like he was. Jess wondered when had she figured it out. The position, that was. If it was a recurring situation—leaving her house to waste the night away in the gazebo. He wondered if she still had problems to fall asleep.

Because he was weak and the biggest idiot ever, Jess walked up the gazebo's stairs and sat down by Amara's side. It was an old instinct of his to be a shoulder for her to cry on, so, of course, from the moment he realized it was her, anything to do with the prank had been forgotten.

Also, he could easily guess what the reason she was out there crying was. Because he was out there for the same reason.

"Leave me alone, Jess." She muttered, looking up from the floor, only to stare at him with those beautiful brown eyes of hers, only they were red from crying and filled with anger at the sight of him. "I really don't want to deal with whatever you—"