{16}- Reason & Defender | Fields of Rye

The street in front of us was completely waterlogged.

Contrary to the winter weather, the water was not cold at all - so much so that it even felt warm instead.

The wild ducks in the morning, although out of season, waddled happily in the stagnant water.

However, everything in the world cannot be as beautiful as the one-sided perception of a few senses.

Just like the road under the water, the potholes are uneven, slippery, slimy, and mixed with sharp objects that make it hard to walk on.

"Found the culprit behind the punctured tires." Einstein remarked as we watched the ground with caution. Sharp shells were now stabbed into the back tires of the Rolls Royce.

The water, gradually stirred by the wheels, began to clear up as Welt and I noticed the strange dense creatures growing in it. The grey-white and purple shells - the same lime-sharp cones that were now stuck to the tires - were huddled together irregularly.

Can't tell if they're mollusks or something else.

Probably Honkai mutated shellfish or nautili. Barnacles too.

"In conclusion... this concrete road has barnacles several times the normal size." Tesla observed, carefully watching her step. She clearly hated the fact that we had to deal with those creatures.

"Aren't barnacles marine animals? I know its close to the sea here, but..."

"Of course I know that!" Tesla snapped at Welt. "That's why it's more terrifying, no? These disgusting things just suddenly appeared inland, and now they're popping our tires?"

"On February 22, 1861, countless fish fell from the sky onto Singapore during a violent storm. But those barnacles couldn't have fallen from the sky, since they're rooted in mud." Einstein was clearly puzzled as well. "Where are we now?"

"Portage Avenue... Hope Street." Tesla said as she scrutinized her map. "Not far to the left is the Swanpoint cemetery... beyond that lies the Seeking River. If we do a field reconnaissance, in a triangle like this... from Bensley point to Libet Park, then to Blackstone Park..."

"But the core of it is still the cemetery, right? Seriously, why is always something related to a cemetery."

A voice rang out from behind us, and Ritsu's tingle of alert only served as a sign of safety as I recognized the voice.

"Ms. Reanna!" I waved in relief, while Tesla was slowly catching on.

Now dressed in full battle suit, Reanna approached with Abyss Flower in hand and a smile.

***********************************************************************************************

"Is this dress today a bit unrecognizable?" Reanna asked us, flashing a smile that only soothed our nerves.

Tesla suddenly muttered on the side, something about the battle suit not being glittering or something.

"Hm? Is something wrong?"

"No, it's okay..." Tesla cringed for a brief second. "That aside... why is Ms. Reanna here? Aren't you Valkyries supposed be at HQ?"

"Ah, uh... I suppose I was supposed to be on vacation, just like you guys?"

"Wait, really?" Tesla was in disbelief.

"I booked a ferry ticket Nantucket to visit the Whaling Museum there... but as you can see, something unusual happened in the morning yesterday. But what about you? Are you going to hunt with your bare hands? I know you have Gabriel with you guys, but still... barnacles are inexplicably growing out of the streets. When you get to the cemetery, once you encounter a Honkai beast, how will you deal with it?"