Chapter III: The Perfect Pair Part 1

It was a gloomy morning for everyone in the Empire. The people were mourning and still coping with the trauma that had been left to them.

No window could light the four-cornered cell where the lady had been imprisoned. She's a lady with an ethereal beauty and a sweet voice that could hold captive the hearts of men. No one could ever think that she would be the person behind the death of the first prince and the one who tormented the life of a gentle lady of the House Evergreen named Melissa.

Clarish Belfford is her name, the antagonist of the novel Twist of Fate. Today she will face the consequence of her villainy. The knights opened the metallic door and pulled her outside the prison room. Her hands were handicapped with special magic in them so she couldn't escape. They walked the dark alley and the only light was the lamp that the other knight was holding. Then they reached the bloody stadium where every prisoner met their end. Her eyes glistened as she saw the man standing at the center. The knight who had been her escort pushed her and made her kneel in front of the second prince, Prince Warryn. There were audiences but none of them showed a little bit of mercy for her.

"Y-your Highness..." she cried and met his cold gaze. Those eyes that looked like rubies would always shine at Melissa but when it came to her, the sparks would immediately disappear and his eyes would darken. "My beloved prince, please spare me some mercy. I only did those things because I love you. You know I would do anything for your sake. If you'd only loved me instead of that wrench, all of these wouldn't have happened. I just love you so much that I couldn't bear to see you with anyone else."

The prince clenched his fist and his jaw tightened. His eyes were full of anger and pain as he looked down on his fiancé. His beloved Melissa died and his stepbrother transformed into a beast and got killed. It was all because of the lady who was begging for mercy before him. How could he forgive someone that cruel?

"Love? You called that love?" His eyes became sharp as if they were daggers. "Your love terrifies me, Clarish. It was my biggest nightmare. You're desperate and pathetic, that's why that thing you called love will forever remain one-sided. I will never love you even in your second life."

"Please don't kill me...Have mercy...."

"Killing you will never be enough for the troubles and sufferings you inflected in this world. May you suffer in the afterlife too."

As soon as Prince Warryn raised his right hand, the knight raised the sword too as if waiting for him to make his next move. He smiled but his eyes were in agony.

"From the bottom of my heart, I loathe you. May our souls never cross paths again."

Then he dropped his hand freely, the sharp-bladed sword swung flawlessly to her neck. Her body collapsed to the floor, blood scattered everywhere.

"Hah!" Reina opened her eyes, the top of the canopy, and the ray of light from the window that reached her face greeted her 'good morning'.

She rose from the bed and held her chest tightly while panting heavily. She looked around and observed her senses. She's still alive and still grasping for air.

It was a bright Summer morning yet she had a nightmare so dark. The dream she had was the bloody fate of the original Clarish that had been written in the novel.

Six years had passed since she got transmigrated to this world and now she had turned 18, the same age when Clarish was executed in the novel.

No wonder why I had that dream. She let out a sigh of relief. She knew that nightmare would never happen to her. Since she hadn't been given the elemental gift, it was as if she had also lost the thread that connected her to the Imperial family. There were times when the Emperor invited her to visit the Palace but she always had reasons. The Emperor may still favor her but she knows it's already not as strong as before.