Chapter V: The Sacrificial Lamb Part 3

Marquis Scarlett, who had been keeping an eye on her, remained quiet and rather astonished by her bold remarks. Instead of getting butthurt, he only crossed his fingers and smiled. It was the opinion he wanted to hear the most, the hurtful truth. She might be an empty vessel but she's high-spirited. There's no glint of fear or doubt in her voice.

"The way you speak, you seemed like you have something up your sleeves," Marquis Scarlett couldn't help but ask.

"Well, I don't know. I just said what I wanted to say." Her voice was toneless as if uninterested in coping with the conversation anymore. "I only came here with my father to personally announce that I am accepting the proposal of the cursed prince and I will not accept any opposition from anyone."

"Who gave you the right to do that?" His brows furrowed as if he was trying to intimidate her but to no avail, she seemed to be a fine lady made out of steel.

"My life, my rules," she confidently said while smiling widely. Her firm words were enough to make the eyes of everyone snap open. The others attempted to speak but the leader of the faction only raised his hand to silence them. He could order the house knights to arrest her right away for saying such blunt words but he chose not to do so. Her words made sense, it's what he thought of.

"You know it's risky to live with the prince, right? Are you not afraid of death?" Now, her wittiness and high-spirited revolt only caught the full attention of the marquis.

I am greatly afraid of death beyond compare. That's why I am doing this. So please just cooperate.

"I am, as well as you do. And if you don't let me go, I'm afraid everything's gonna get worse. Wanna know why? Let me tell you this interesting trivia I heard personally from His Highness, Prince Darius." She leaned her palm at the top of the table, and with all courage and seriousness, she met the eyes of the marquis. She smirked and looked around. "He already knew that his curse couldn't be lifted."

Everyone gasped, and the room began to fill with buzzing noises as if they were bees. She stared at Marquis Belfford who had been keeping his silence and lowering his head. During the trip, she had told her father to just play along with her plan.

"You're kidding, right?" Marquis Lucrene who was just in his chilly mode suddenly shivered in fear like a mouse being cornered. "There was no way he could know about it and how'd you get those words from him in the first place? You're lying, aren't you?"

"Good question, Marquis Lucrene. Prince Darius was there during the coming of age ceremony, I saw him with my naked eyes," she started freezing everyone on their seat. "Initially, he wasn't invited but he's still a royal member so there was nothing wrong for him to attend it. As long as he's not going to cause harm to anyone. I'm not sure about how exactly he got to know about the curse but we don't know, maybe there was a traitor here that shared it at the banquet and it magically reached his ears."

She couldn't care less whether it was true or not. Since the banquet was an event of idle chitchats and bragging of status, the rumors about the prince would have been shared there too and by judging their reactions, it clearly stated the obvious.

"What nonsense are you saying?! You said you saw him yourself but do you have proof?"

Do I look like I came here unprepared? Reina clicked her tongue in irritation. Even if they were elders, she couldn't bring herself to respect them. She then called one of the housemaids to get the thing she had been carrying earlier. It was the black cloak with the emblem of the House Marqaux, the same coat that Prince Darius had covered her shoulders that night.

"If you're not familiar with this insignia, might as well demote yourself as a noble." She showed the cloak to everyone and smiled playfully. "Prince Darius told me myself about the curse and he gave me this coat as a warning to each one of us in this sect."