Chapter 4: Crossing Paths After Dark

Thursday night weighed heavily on Norman's shoulders as he delved into lines of code, each passing moment adding to the mounting pressure. With eyes fixed on the screen, he meticulously sifted through the code editor, scrutinizing each line for the elusive bug that was causing the system to crash. The only sound in the office was the soft hum of the air conditioning and the occasional clacking of the keyboard. Time seemed to stretch endlessly, until Sam's voice broke the silence from behind, signalling his departure.

"Hey dude, I'm making a move now, see you tomorrow!"

Carrying his laptop backpack, Sam bid him goodbye, off to his relatively nearby home in Bangsar. Norman, on the other hand, faced the prospect of a long journey to his residence in USJ, a good 40 minutes' travel away.

With a quick save and a final glance at the screen, he closed the file and shut down the operating system. Mind already on the clock, he swiftly unplugged the charger, coiling the cable with expert efficiency, and slung the bag over his shoulder.

He stretched, feeling the strain in his muscles, before heaving a tired sigh. Time was of the essence, and he needed to catch the last LRT train departing from KL Sentral at 12:02 am.

The office around him was a still silhouette, the city's nightlife veiled by the office walls. He pushed back his chair, the dull thud resonating in the quiet space, and made his way to the exit, the subtle clack of his shoes on the floor echoing through the corridors.

Rushing to the elevator, he darted inside as soon as the doors opened, jabbing the "Level 1" button with a hint of impatience. The lift descended swiftly, and as he emerged onto the ground level, his pace quickened, each step purposeful and determined. His left arm instinctively rose, eyes fixated on his watch, the seconds ticking away relentlessly. The looming prospect of missing the train only spurred him to move faster.

Navigating the deserted corridors of KL Sentral, he moved swiftly, the click of his footsteps echoing in the empty spaces. With minimal activity at this late hour, the surroundings took on an eerie stillness that contrasted sharply with the daytime bustle. He quickened his pace, each step purposeful and resolute, driven by the urgency of catching the last train.

He crossed the road, entered KL Sentral, and soon reached the LRT station, which is situated inside the building. As he approached the electronic gate, he took his wallet from his back pocket. He plucked out his Touch 'n Go card and tapped it on the scanner. The gate opened, and at that moment, he heard the roar of an incoming train. He hurried his steps and climbed the escalator to get to the platform.

He finally reached the platform, only to find the train that arrived was on the opposite direction. He settled to catch his breath then he looked at the electronic display. The ticker-styled display board showed "4 Coach Train to Kelana Jaya Arriving in 1 minute." Norman checked his watch; it was one minute past midnight.

Then he casually looked around the nearly deserted train platform. It was a stark contrast to the bustling hub during rush hours. The platform was well-lit, with overhead fluorescent lights casting a pale, artificial glow. The only other souls waiting on the platform were two or three individuals, scattered at a distance from one another. Norman's attention was drawn to a young woman standing near the end of the platform, where the painted yellow markings indicated the fourth car's designated stopping point. She was dressed in a blue denim jacket and a blue jeans, a red backpack slung casually over her shoulders. Her hair, loosely tied back, fluttered in the slight breeze, and her gaze was fixed intently on the tracks.

She appeared strangely familiar to Norman, but with her back turned towards him, he couldn't quite place her. Her attention was fixed on the tracks, and she seemed absorbed in the anticipation of the approaching train. Norman's curiosity piqued, and he approached her quietly, to get a closer look. As he drew nearer, he realized with a jolt of surprise that it was none other than Jessie.