Chapter 8: Sun, Shower & Crush

It was Tuesday afternoon, the sun's warm rays cascaded through the scattered clouds, casting a golden glow over the glistening streets below. Despite the intermittent showers, the air remained heavy with humidity, a characteristic feature of the monsoon season's early days in November . Norman and his colleagues made their way back from a client meeting by LRT. The delicate balance between the sun's gentle warmth and the soothing patter of rain enveloped the city in a tranquil embrace.

As the train swayed gently, Norman and his colleagues discussed the key points from their client meeting, their voices rising slightly above the rhythmic hum of the train tracks. The soft patter of rain outside created a serene backdrop to their conversation, punctuated by occasional rumbles of thunder.

Just as the train arrived at the KLCC station, a swarm of commuters rushed into the car, filling the previously sparse aisles. Amidst the commotion, Norman's eyes fell upon a familiar figure. A girl in a black skirt and grey shirt captured his attention. The distinctive red bag she carried instantly sparked recognition in his mind. His gaze lingered for a moment as he tried to place where he had seen her before. The memory of Jessie and her identical red backpack from their previous encounter began to resurface, making her the first guess that crossed his mind.

One of his colleagues nudged him, pulling him back into their conversation. "What do you think about the client's proposal, Norman?" asked Jeremy, one of his workmates. Norman's mind struggled to refocus, his thoughts still preoccupied with the mysterious girl on the train. "I think we need to work on our pitch," he replied absentmindedly, his attention split between the discussion and the enigmatic girl.

Norman excused himself from his colleagues, muttering, "Excuse me, guys. I think I saw my friend over there."

He then maneuvered through the swaying train. The rhythmic clatter of wheels against tracks and the murmur of conversations filled the air. As he neared Jessie, he couldn't help but notice the subtle details—the way her legs were crossed, her eyes fixed intently on the smartphone screen. Her concentration was unbreakable, and the anticipation coiled within him.

Every step felt like an eternity, the world around him narrowing down to that one focal point. The relentless swaying of the train had his heart drumming, a fusion of anxiety and excitement. His mouth felt slightly dry, his palms clammy. But there was no turning back now.

Finally, he reached her side, and with a steadying breath, he offered a soft-spoken, "Hello."

Instantly, Jessie jolted in her seat, her eyes leaving the screen and fixing on Norman's gaze. Her expression shifted from one of bewilderment to a blend of surprise and curiosity.

 Her expression shifted from one of bewilderment to a blend of surprise and curiosity

 "Hey, it's you," Jessie finally said, her voice laced with a hint of surprise. "What a surprise to see you here."

Norman's smile widened, relief washing over him at her recognition. "Yeah, what a coincidence," he replied, trying to keep the conversation light and casual. "I didn't expect to bump into you again. How have you been?"