Chapter 5

My life hasn't been easy. Not even as a little kid. I remember my mom wanting to dress me up for some reason, maybe just to dress me up, but my dad wouldn't let her. Money has always been an issue for me. We never had enough, and couldn't afford fancy things. At times, we couldn't even afford nice things. Kind of like now. 

The reason I didn't buy something fancy with the extra money that Mr. Milton gave me was because I've been saving up to leave, and I need as much as possible to get myself started in the real world. It wasn't like I could just walk up to my mom's front door and say, 'hey, I missed you, can I move in?' She was newly remarried and I didn't want to show up there just to be told that there wasn't enough room in her life for me. 

All of these thoughts came crashing down on me when I pulled the beautiful baby blue dress out of the garment bag that evening. Everything from when I was a child up until my last beating hit me all at once and I cried. Not going to lie here - it was ugly. I was sobbing and pouring snot. I was trying to pull myself together enough to actually put it on when I heard the bathroom door open. It was employees only, so I knew I had to stop making strangled noises and wipe my face. 

"Jenny?" came the voice of the sweetest little old cashier through the stall door. Thelma was old and I was pretty sure she was well past retirement age, but she had a soft spot for me and treated me like I was one of her granddaughters. "You've been in here a while. Are you okay?"

"I'm fine, Ms. Thelma. Thank you." I tried to hold back the sniffles and tears.

"You're sure?"

"I'm sure." 

"Okay, then. If you want someone to fix your hair, let me know. I brought my salon tools."

"Tools?"

She laughed gently. "Yes. I used to be a hairdresser, you know. Way back in the day, of course."

I smiled, a fresh wave of tears welling up. "I'd like that. Just give me a few more minutes."

"Of course, dear." I waited for her to leave the room before opening the door and heading to the sink. I washed my face quickly and ran back into the stall. This time, I pulled the dress all the way out and took a good look at it before quickly changing into it. 

When I opened the stall door, I wasn't prepared to see someone else looking back at me. It was nothing like I'd ever worn. It was strapless with a sweetheart neckline that wasn't too revealing for me. The dress nearly touched the floor, the tulle flowing in seemingly endless waves. I felt like a princess in this dress. A real one. 

I stepped out of the bathroom and saw a few people, including Mr. and Mrs. Milton, waiting for me. 

Oh. So this was why Thelma had come looking for me. 

"Um," I started, but was quickly cut off my Mrs. Milton rushing over to me and pulling me into a huge hug.

"You look beautiful, sweetheart," she said as she pulled back. "Come on." She took my hand and began pulling me in the direction of the break room. "Let's get your hair and makeup done." 

I'd always had a sneaking suspicion that this lady had always wanted a daughter, and it was feeling more and more like my impression was spot on. 

Anyway, after my makeup had been put on and my hair done up, Mrs. Milton smiled at me. "You look beautiful tonight," she said, sounding proud. 

I felt pretty. For probably the first time I could think of, I felt like a true girl. I felt pretty and like I was a princess getting ready to be swept off my feet. Except instead of a handsome prince, I had Brayden waiting for me. It was a bit of a damper on my night, but I was determined to make the most of it.