Chapter 12

"I can't believe this," Lila said. We were standing around in our graduation gowns and caps, waiting for the ceremony to start. "We made it!"

"I just can't believe our Jenny made salutatorian!" Jas said, giving me a small, quick hug that I didn't have time to react to.

It was a surprise to me, too. After finals, they announced the valedictorian and salutatorian. I'd done very well in all my classes, including the weighted ones, but I'd done no extracurriculars. I thought for sure that'd knock me out of the running, but apparently not. I was wearing the sash that marked me as second in my class. I was going to give the opening speech. 

I was so nervous. My palms were sweaty, I was sweating under my cap, and my mouth felt dry. It was all up to me to open everything. I didn't usually get this nervous, but we were talking about a lot of people that I didn't know staring at me while I talked. That was enough to make anyone nervous. 

"You're going to do great," Lila said as she straightened my sash. "I know it. You've practiced your speech in front of us enough that I think we could recite it by heart if you faint, so don't worry."

"Yeah, you should relax," Jas chimed in. "You look like you're about ready to puke."

"There's a good reason for that." I rubbed my stomach. Truthfully, I wasn't really as nauseated as I was tired from trying to hide the bruises from last night. I wasn't sure what set him off, but my father suddenly decided I needed some extra color. The makeup was torture. I wanted to show up bruise-free, but I suppose that was shooting a little high. 

There were some murmurs and I looked over to find the principle trying to get us lined up finally. We fell in line where we were supposed to be and eventually filed out to our seats. I went up to the stage and sat my notes on the podium. 

I looked out at my classmates and then the stands. "Welcome to Rapid Falls High's 2023 commencement ceremony," I said, listening to my voice echo through the open football field. "Thank you all for coming. Today marks a historic day in many lives - those of myself, my classmates, our parents, and our friends. Thank you to the faculty and teachers for helping the class of '23 reach this moment. You've taught us for four years, and have watched us grow. You have seen us struggle, grow, and mature. This moment is just as special for you as it is for the rest of us. 

"These last four years has meant a lot to all of us. We've been through a lot, some more than others, but we've made it all the way here. There's been some mishaps along the way. Who of our class will could forget the day someone covered Principal Nguyen's car with sticky notes? Or how about the time at homecoming someone spiked the punch bowl?" I hadn't been there, but it was talked about for weeks. Judging by the giggles I heard, there were still some that remembered. "That's just a couple of the memories we take away from our high school days.

"Congratulations to all of us for making it this far. This day is for us to celebrate more than just completing four years of education - it's to celebrate the connections and friends we've made along the way. It's to celebrate before we have to look to the future, wherever that takes us. Soon we'll be scattered all across the country, reaching for different goals, juggling life, learning, and even a relationship or two. I wish all of you the best in whatever path you're choosing for yourselves. I hope it leads you everything you want. 

"As for me, well, I've learned a few things along the way, not the least of which I learned from my closest friends. They've always encouraged me to go for what I want, and I fought against them the whole way through high school. But I see now the wisdom of that, and that's something I want to give to all of you. The okay to chase your dreams. There's nothing wrong with trying to reach out for something more than what you have.