Chapter 13

"You didn't tell me you were coming," I said when I stepped into my apartment that evening. 

My dad looked up from the drink he was nursing. His eyes were bloodshot, evidence that this wasn't his first one. He also looked pale and clammy, which was a little odd for him. "You didn't invite me so I was curious."

I frowned. HIs explanation didn't make sense, and his words were much more slurred than they normally were. I looked closer at the table and saw some stuff I didn't recognize. Was he now doing drugs? "I didn't invite you because I didn't think you'd come. You don't like crowds."

"Why wouldn't I want to see my precious, deceitful daughter give a speech and make herself look stupid? Well, stupider. I tried to protect you and look where we are. You didn't have the right to go to that place without my consent."

"I did a good job on my speech, thank you very much," I said, trying to not sound as defiant as I felt.

"You look stupid up there, pretending to be smart. You're worthless. I can't even count on you bringing home a consistent check."

"That wasn't my fault!"

He barked a laugh. "Right. Blame it on the naive boy running things. You're shameless and worthless. A bad combination. Maybe I should make sure you're not carrying the other idiot's baby. The last thing we need in this world is an outbreak of stupid." 

Without warning, he lunged from the table and punched me hard in my lower abdomen. It just about knocked the wind out of me. The momentum of the hit knocked him off balanced and pushed him hard into me. We both fell to the floor. It hurt to move my legs, but I tried to crawl backwards to get out from underneath him. 

Once I was free, I flipped onto my stomach and tried to scramble to my feet, only to have them pulled out from under me. I face-planted onto the floor. He pulled on my ankle, releasing the other one. I kicked him as hard as I could. He let out a cry and released me. I got to my feet and ran to his bedroom. I grabbed his cell phone from his bedside table and tried to run back to my room. 

By the time I got to the doorway, Marvin was in the hallway. He ran to try to keep me from going into my room, but I was too quick. I closed and locked the door right as he got to me. I tucked my desk chair under the doorknob right before he started kicking my door.

I dialed 911 and waited. "Nine-one-one, what's your emergency?" came a masculine voice. 

"My dad is out of control," I said quietly into the phone. There was another loud kick at the door. "He's been drinking and I think he's been doing drugs. He's trying to get to me to hurt me. Come quick." There was a thump in the hallway. "I'm at 322 Maple Street, apartment 16. I think he's passed out now."

"Are you okay?"

I took a deep breath. "Yeah, I'm fine." I rubbed my abdomen. It still ached where he punched me. Nothing I hadn't dealt with before though. 

"Okay. I'll send someone out there to check on things. Are you safe right now?"

"Yes, I think so."

"Stay there until the police get there. I'll stay on the line with you if you want."

"No, I'm fine. I need to call someone and I don't have another phone."

"Okay, then. Are you sure you're safe?"

"I'm pretty sure he's passed out, so I'm sure." We exchanged goodbyes and I took off my purse so I could search it. I quickly found the phone number I never thought I'd call and dialed. When the ringing stopped, before any greetings could be said, I said, "I need you to do something for me."