|11| Meeting

(n

(n.) an assembly of people for a particular purpose, especially for formal discussion

It was hard to admit, but I was nervous – deathly nervous.

I cleared my throat for the umpteenth time, adjusting my blouse as I stood outside the Alpha's meeting room. I'd opted for a black knee-length skirt, white blouse, and three-inch stilettoes thinking it would give me an air of importance, but now I wondered if it made me look stuck-up instead. I gave a side-long look towards Azure, who wore a black blouse and a pair of dress pants. Maybe I should have opted for something similar.

I looked at the double oak doors before me and released a long breath. The Western and Eastern leaders were behind them, waiting for us.

This was it. This could decide the fate of the war.

I pushed out a breath. Then, without another thought, I pulled open the door and pushed my way inside. Azure followed at my heels.

The moment I stepped inside, four people stood from their seats around a mahogany round table. I drew to a stop, a little shocked to see all the leaders in the flesh. The Western leaders held the typical stark appearance, with dark eyes and dark hair. The Eastern Alpha had Zion's auburn hair, and the similarities between them were a little striking – except that his eyes were brown. Zion had obviously gotten his emerald eyes from his mother – the Eastern Luna – who stared at me with an intensity that made me a little uneasy.

Quietly, I cleared my throat. Even though I projected an air of confidence, I felt way out of my depth. Still, all I could do was try.

"Good evening, Alphas, Lunas."

"Where's Alpha Osyn?" the Eastern Alpha growled. I suppressed my groan. I feared the meeting would go like this.

"He's unable to attend at the moment, unfortunately," I said pragmatically. "I'm currently acting as the stand-in Alpha. And this is Azure, my stand-in Beta."

"And you are?" the Western Alpha chimed in.

"Kyra Aetos," I replied.

"And what happened to Alpha Osyn?" the Eastern Luna pressed. I blinked at her, surprised to find her glaring at me. "I can't see how things would get so dire that he'd appoint an Epsilon in his place."

I didn't bother to suppress my scowl this time. "That, I cannot disclose. That being said, I ask that—"

"This is stupid," the Western Alpha snapped, his brown eyes glimmering with frustration. He pointed to his Luna who, to be fair, looked ashamed of her husband's outburst. "We travelled night and day just to get here. We were under the impression we'd be speaking to the Northern Alpha, not some pathetic excuse of a stand-in."

I snarled at that. This wasn't going too well. "I ask you speak to me with more respect—"

"And why should I?" the Western Alpha shot back. "I was told that Azriel is on his merry way to conquer my territory. Now I'm being patronized by some stuck-up girl who knows nothing about war and pack politics. Do you have any idea how dire this situation is for us?"