|15| Distraction

(n

(n.) a thing that prevents someone from concentrating on something else

[18+!]

I paced the foot of my bed, glancing at the clock to see the minutes tick by. It was almost 9PM, and I knew that Zion would be here any moment now. At least, I hoped...

I wrung my hands together, my stomach a mess of knots and butterflies. I'd been questioning my decision to invite Zion for the past three hours, but another part of me – a reckless part – insisted that I needed this. I needed someone that I felt safe with, to sleep beside and take my nightmares away. I didn't know how much longer I could stand to see Raina's tortured gaze before I snapped.

Plus, nothing would actually happen between us, right?

Three knocks came at the door, jostling me from my thoughts. I walked over and opened it within three seconds, my heart hammering as I found Zion standing there. He appeared a little bewildered – daresay out of his depth – but his apprehension disappeared the moment his eyes met mine. His face relaxed into a soft smile, and I melted a little on the inside.

"I didn't think you'd actually open," he murmured, and I returned his smile. I stepped aside, and as he took a cautious step into the room, his eyed widened as he stared around. I felt the blush rising to my cheeks. Though I'd tried my best to clean it, half the room was still a mess. Clothes on the floor, clutter on the drawers... I think the only thing with a clean surface was the bed and the floor before it. He turned to me; his face wrought with concern. "Kyra—"

"Don't," I urged, my voice low as though afraid someone would hear. I shook my head at him. "Don't say it. I don't want to hear it, okay?"

Zion hesitated at that, but he nodded all the same. Still, I could see the glimmer of sadness in his eyes as he continued to look around. I'd always been a very neat person when he knew me; I supposed this was a rather confronting change for him to witness. After several moments, he walked towards the bed, settling down on the end. I decided to go and sit beside him, the sinking mattress forcing me to fall against his side.

For a few moments, we just sat in silence, the atmosphere between us so thick that one could cut it with a knife. I found myself picking anxiously at my nails, questioning once again if this was a bad idea. I could feel Zion scrutinising me out the corner of my eyes, but I didn't dare meet his gaze.

Finally, he sighed and leaned back on his hands, disbanding a fraction of the tension. His auburn hair spilled down his shoulders in a way that mesmerised me. He turned to me. "I think the last time we were in a room together was when I tried to warn you about Azriel. Man, that seems like a lifetime ago now."

I chucked, though my amusement quickly died at the memory. "And then he took you..." I turned to him, a lump in my throat. "Zion... how badly does it affect you?"