◇PROLOGUE◇

NO one thought it would be their last party together. Just yesterday, they were drinking through the night, laughing, playing cards, celebrating.

       But now, here they are, guessing who would bleed first.

       "So, what's it gonna be?" The madman seducingly asked, pure white, glowing eyes grinning. His voice was a chorus of different tones under the same vocals as if spirits possessed him spoke in unison.

       He did not used to be like this. Once, he had beautiful olive eyes, a kind bearing, and a child-like enthusiasm that had everyone doting on him rather than annoyed.

       But now, weaves of unbounded energy cascaded along his skin dancing over his body to his limbs, sending his hair and clothes flowing about. He was levitating. Now, he was no different from the monster in front of him.

       It looked at him with silent, piercing, clear red eyes. It manifested a pure black aspect like a towering cloak of night. Its body stretched out from its head to outspread wing-like anatomies at the foot of its base, the air of ominosity seeping out of it was too potent it gave contorting illusions of the objects seen through it.

       We could end this right here and one of us gets out, he imposed like a serpent enticing temptation, or let this absurdity go on until the mine collapses on both of us?

       The crystals protruding from the cave gave off glinting shimmers of majestic purple, white, and bluish rays, resounding any sounds to booming vibrations all over the rocks in every corner, threatening the whetted stalactites to break and fall tip-first. The pit they were in stored millions of raw, intricate gems that sparkled light like a chamber of stars, true to its attraction as the heart of the crystal mines. Moreover, it was a considerable playground for magical warfare to ensue.

       He expected such an answer. The silence was enough to know that the anomaly was not going to back down. "So be it."

       With an outstretched hand, streaks of light accumulated on his palm, then a searing hot beam, let loose.

       His opponent swayed like an unpredictable wave of darkness, its abstract form shot out dark matter ahead of the upcoming assault.

       It engulfed the Energy with its shapeless mass of black, swallowing and gnawing it. Done processing, the monster shot it back with equal vigor, its former yellowish trajectory transformed into pure pitch like its inky flesh.

       The mage drew from his strength, bidding on the strings of his magic, and formed them into a shield of light. The attack deflected, resulting for the impact to send outrageous vibrations echoing all over the cave. 

       "You were right," he cooed, straining the radiating veins beneath his honey skin. The build on his frame bulged with muscles he could only fantasize about. However, they were no longer dreams. "This power is irresistible. The vitality is overwhelming, drowning my senses. Imagine the sheer possibilities it can do..." He said, whirling his fingers in the air, producing a crystal of concentrated energy hovering over his palm, then continued under a stretched smile, "All in my hands."

       The orb of energy crushed within his grip, coursing through his limbs, amalgamating at his fists. With a push of his heels, he was right under the monster's head--as inferred from its eyes above--and began striking once more.

       He jabs at its neck, pummels at its chest, jostles, kicks, knees at the presumed body parts in reference to the position of its eyes, but even with the perplexing speed and brute the monster could not be touched. It moved in fluent mobility like sentient murky water.

       He shot a beam at the ceiling, which multiplied into several more missiles. The attacks that had not hit--all of it--detonated, inducing flurries of ashen smoke. Nonetheless, the screen of ashes revealed the abomination which stood yet so regal, traceless of inflictions. 

       The madman was more impressed at its elusive feat that amounts to his, if not less. He dove to the ground, inducing another bout of quake and shattering the rock foundations bringing about the ground to cave in. The monster dropped down into the pit. Before it could catch itself on its feet, a massive spheroid of energy sailed at it.

       The creature projected its elongated talons to push back the herculean cast of magic. The hot energy eating away at its shadow mantle like the Sun melting a passing comet. 

       On the other end of the orb, the mage pressed down his weight on his sinewy arms. "You have to admit, this reminds us of our tussle back in the days. And I'm having fun using my new powers with it. You're enjoying this too," the mage managed to shout over the roaring of the falling debris and the crashing vigor of the magic, "aren't you, Meizi?"

       The mage should have acknowledged by now that his foe is not one for a prater during battle, let alone realize he was a mute for the dramatic turn of events. In fact, it had not assailed a single attack at him. Instead, its unknown strength was able to thrust the ball of energy further for its unwilling reply. The mage felt its brawn because his arms began to tremble against the augment of the opposing force. He had underestimated the being. What is more, his expectations were yet again surpassed by his friend--

       No. It did not matter anymore. 

       He had power. He felt it calling for his core as if it had been destined for him. 

       It was his. His alone. Therefore, he kept pushing. 

       Who is anyone to stop him from harnessing it to its full potential? Who are they who dare see him as a monster when this creature before him was a savage spawn of darkness? 

       He had it all. Money. Fame. Fortune. Everything the tainted human heart craved for. But this... It was nowhere near deserving of anyone else to even think about wanting for. No one has the right to question him of it.

       It is his. His to use. Feel. Flaunt. It is and forever will be--

       An outburst ensued. The crystal mines shook, disturbed and angry. The upsurge sent the two adversaries driven back by utmost force. 

       The unhinged mage slammed against the crystal walls, slowly sliding onto the floor albeit with the friction of rocks prodding at his back. Before he could register what happened, he felt a cold, sharp object searing deep into the flesh of his stomach. A stalactite has pierced through it.

       The monster struck the first blood.

Don't forget to vote and comment 💬your thoughts. I would love to hear and reply to them.
Your mere support means a lot! Thank you and remember to drink your water 😉