CHAPTER 15 The Tree Of Grief

[Graphic Content Warning!]

       A ghoul pitched into them, followed by its cohorts as they blazed toward Stella. She flailed her wrist, and the gigantic vine bashed the enemy aside. Another was advancing. Stella twisted her forearm, spurring the other plant to grapple the enemy, slinging it towards two more. Cazzie watched in both amusement and terror. Two distinct trees swayed, crawling down like leafy sprigs and swiping up the gliding creatures.

       "Amazing..." Cazzie whispered.

       An uproar from behind yanked their attention. Bolting towards Cazzie were two ghouls. Tripping as she awkwardly took a step back, her squeal stifled when the creatures thrashed against the grip of the outgrown vines that had seized them.

       "Are you ... okay?"

       "Yes. But you're spending too much mana!"

       Stella's exhaustion was evincing through her quivering arms. "You're ... worth it."

       Cazzie lay lodged, her mind haunted by the thought of what could transpire once Stella reached her limit. There were too many of them, and she could not do anything but watch. Again.

       "Stella!" Her fear came due when Stella collapsed. The trees stalled, stripped out of her Floral dominance, resulting in the captives storming out. And before Cazzie could get up to her feet, a ghoul caught Stella, dragging the insensible Princess with them as they flew off by swarm above the trees.

       "NO!" Running, a gash slit across her calf as Cazzie tripped chasing the throng, anguish washing over the pain.

       The colossal vines crumbled, causing rumbling sounds and an imperceptible earthquake as the trees reverted to their static posts. Cazzie dropped on her legs, unleashing a grueling cry in which the forest shared her in misery.

       *

       After what felt like an everlasting agony, a distant holler came. "Cazzie!" It took all her strength to stand. Once the boys arrived, Hiro skimmed her any injuries. "Are you okay? Hey, Caz! Where's Stella?"

       "Was she ... " Ryeld began, but Cazzie took the courage to elaborate.

       "I..." She sniffed, wiping the trails of tears off her face. "I couldn't ... do anything." They barely heard her words but grasped what she meant. "She protected me. But I couldn't ... save her ... I'm sorry." She was clutching her shoulders, nails digging into her skin. "I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I'm so useless. I ... I should've-"

       "Hey, hey. Don't say that," Kayne said, patting her on the back as the torrent of tears came again. "You don't have to blame yourself, Cazzie. You saw that magic is futile against them, and there were too many for you both to handle. Plus, you really couldn't have done anything about it. They were only after her when they could have taken you too. They were ordered to."

       Hiro followed. "Hey, it'll be alright. Kayne's right. It's not that we mean you're weak. It's just these things are indestructible and you and Stella couldn't have done anything about it like anyone else. Be glad she protected you. She'll be relieved to know you're still here."

       Resisting any more tears, she withdrew her sobs, completely rubbing off the tears. "I hope you're right." The gunk in her throat made it hard to speak. Her eyes were bloodshot as she tucked her shrouding bangs aside.

       Kayne spoke, "Come on. We can be sure that she's still alive."

       Steadying herself to walk, she dusted her attire, nodding. "Yeah. Thanks ... So what do we do now?"