Chapter 36

"Alright Wolf, we're heading out to the main SAS base today."

My ears perk up as I pop a piece of bacon into my mouth. "Hmm?"

"They've just got a group of new recruits on, we'll be running through some training with them."

"Do you train the recruits a lot?"

"Often enough. We use it as an opportunity to scout out potential new recruits for the 141. It's how we found Gaz. Doesn't happen often, but we always keep an eye out. Now hurry up and finish your food."

I pop the last bit of egg into my mouth and drop my dishes over to the cleaning corner. On my way past the buffet I snag another couple pieces of bacon and eat them on my way out the door. 

"Do you ever stop eating?" Ghost looked at me with a hint of amusement. 

"Says you, I've seen how much you eat."

"Yeah, but I'm three times your size and you still manage to put me to shame. Where does all that food go? You're a black pit."

"Extremely high metabolism. You work me hard enough that I need the food." I grin at him.

"Oh, fuck off. You're the least worked member on the team. I should be working you harder."

"Hmmmm. You could always pit me against the new recruits." I say hiding the hope within my voice.

"Nope. You're still strictly not meant to be training for the next four days. You're out today to simply watch how I work and help keep an eye on them, make sure they're doing the right thing."

"Bah humbug," I grouch, shoulders slouching as I sulk quietly. As we leave the 141 area, I slide the mask up over my face, the hoody already hiding my ears from view. Next to Ghost, I just looked like I blended in. I pulled out a pair of full fingered gloves I'd stolen from Ghost and pulled them on hiding my clawed hands. 

Ghost looked as he noticed the motion, his mask scrunching as he frowned slightly. "Are those my gloves?" 

"Maybe?" 

"God damnit. I was wondering where they went. You know we can just order you in some new equipment if you need it?"

"I know, I've already spoken to Price about it but my fingers were getting cold."

"You're worse than a bloody girlfriend. Stealing my hoody, now my gloves. What next?" 

"Well, you can't dump me like you can a girlfriend, so you may as well get used to it." I grin at him, the mask crinkling up as my eyes twinkle mischeviously at him. "Think of it as adding myself to your property. I belong to you, so what belongs to you belongs to me."

"Nope. Wolf, wrong. That's not how this works at all. I want my gloves back." He holds out his hand for his gloves.

"Nope, unless you want all the recruits seeing my clawed hands and want them wondering what the fuck is wrong with me."

Ghosts hand clenches as he realises I'm right. While it was becoming more common knowledge that Australia had been experiment ing in genetics to such a degree that hybrids had become a thing, it wasn't exactly common. Ghost and Price had agreed that I should remain hidden as much as possible, only exposing my secret where necessary. 

"Fine. But as soon as your equipment has come in, I want my gloves back. And my hoody."

I scrunch my nose in disappointment, but ultimately agree. "Fine."

Ghost leads us through the rest of the main SAS campus, passing by other soldiers who all greeted Ghost politely in passing. They seemed familiar with Ghosts cold demeanour as they all passed through without expecting a return to their greeting. I however received curious glances, especially when they noted that I was wearing Ghosts 'Lieutenant Riley' hoody, but no one stopped to question it seeming to know better than to ask Ghost anything.