Window 5

Welcome to December 5th, 2023!

Writing is a big part of Wattpad, and sometimes it can be really difficult. Typically when you describe your characters, you describe them by their physical appearance. The challenge for you today is to describe a character of your choice without mentioning much of their physical appearance in obvious ways. As an example, we have included a quote from Scott F. Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby.

He smiled understandingly – much more understandingly. It was one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it, that you may come across four or five times in life. It faces – or seemed to face – the whole external world for an instant, and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. It understood you just so far as you wanted to be understood, beloved in you as you would like to believe in yourself and assured you that it had precisely the impression of you that, at your best, you hoped to convey. Precisely at that point it vanished – and I was looking at an elegant young rough-neck a year or two over thirty, whose elaborate formality of speech just missed being absurd. Some time before he introduced himself I'd got a strong impression that he was picking his words with care.

Now this is an impressive description of Gatsby, here Nick, the narrator, highlights Gatsby's ability to captivate those around him.

Now you try! You're welcome to share your writing in the comment section!

Today Magic and BTS-Community are hosting other activities! If you want to participate in more activities, be sure to visit their advent calendar for even more fun!

Come back tomorrow for more!