CHAPTER 54

ELIZABETH (LIZZIE'S) POV

I close the door behind me, the sound of guns going off sounding muffled from the shooting range on the other side of the door. As after every session I spend at the shooting range, I feel lighter, making my way to the parking, two levels below, where my car is parked. Where once the sound of gunshots terrified me, now they comfort me. It no longer makes me feel helpless but instead, powerful knowing that this time, I am the one shooting.

Descending the first level, I end up on the main level consisting of the offices and weapon room along with rooms if ever anyone is to stay the night. Instead of continuing to the next floor, I end up walking down the hallway towards my dad's office, the door slightly open and low voices filtering out.

I frown. No one is supposed to be here at this time. Audelia and her group of friends came to train this morning from what I heard them talking yesterday but they must have certainly left. As for my dad, he is out of town for the day and so is Ezra.

I pull the hood of my jacket over my head, ensuring that the copper strands of my hair are well hidden while stealthily moving towards the door. I peak down the other hallways to make sure that I am the only one.

With light steps, I stand against the wall, pressing my body against it and slowly, leaning forward. I squint, trying to see the maximum space of the room through the little opening. The figure in the room comes into view and I freeze.

Stefano is on the side of the room, a furious look over his features as he paces the little area, mumbling something in Italian. My eyes widen.

Is he trying to betray our mafia? Was this why he formed this alliance with us in the first place- So that he could backstab us given the right opportunity? With dad and Ezra out of town and Audelia out, this is perfect.

Lorenzo. Is he on this plan as well? Was everything he showed towards Audelia and act to get her to fall for him and distract her while his dad does whatever he is doing? Did he put her through all this for fun?

No. He loves her. It is obvious from the way he looks at her but I swear to god, if this is not the case, I will not hesitate to put a bullet in Lorenzo's head- Of course, after Audelia is done with him.

Before I can go on thinking about the worst scenarios of how Lorenzo and his dad tricked all of us, another voice echoes in the room and I pale.

My heart pounds and I feel like I can throw up right in the hallway as his voice, tinged with malice and frustration mixes with that of Stefano.

"Have to admit though. They are fools to agreeing with our plans. They signed up for their own death." Dad mocks, coming into view as he approaches Stefano. "Finally, after such a long plan, it is all falling into place."

"After so many attempts, they will finally be gone forever." Stefano agrees and I supress a gasp. "Woking together was not such a bad idea after all."

"Indeed." Dad lets out a dark chuckle, sending shivers down my spine. The same man who was supposed to protect and care for Audelia was now out for her blood. Some father he is.

"Although the start was rocky with so many failed attempts, this one will be successful. If they somehow manage to escape our man when they reach Russia, they will undoubtedly be dead when they will be spotted in Russian territory." Stefano grins.

"We just need to make sure Henry is well aware of what he is supposed to do." I frown at the stranger's name. "Where is he?" Dad- Liam- checks his watch, an impatient look on his face.

Just then, hurried footsteps approach and I quickly hide behind one of the pillars as a man with a laptop in his hands dashes past, entering the room. I regain my position by the door, straining to catch every word.