promise necklace

You set the empty wine glasses on the table and smiled to yourself, proud that you prepared a romantic candlelight dinner for you and Jihyo, even though it was your birthday.

You can't cook to save your life, so you had asked Jeongyeon to teach you how to cook a few simple dishes so you can cook for Jihyo.

Reading the time on your watch, you realised Jihyo was late for almost fifteen minutes now. You reminded Jihyo of this dinner two days ago, but maybe you should've reminded her again last night.

The girls are in the final stages of preparing for their new album and you don't blame Jihyo for neglecting you the past few weeks. She has a nation girl group to lead afterall, and you know she takes responsibilities for every little thing whenever their comeback is near.

But still, you wished she had put in a little more effort in remembering today was your birthday.

You sighed and decided to start dinner by yourself as Jihyo most likely won't show up for another few hours.

Just as you finished pouring a glass of your favorite wine, there were knocks on your door.

You knew it wasn't Jihyo because she would've just came in with the keys, so you didn't know who it could be.

"Hi!"

"Oh, hey, Jeongyeon." You stepped aside to let Jeongyeon in.

"Jihyo had to do something last minute, and I'm free after practice, so I decided to stop by and greet the birthday girl!"

Jeongyeon handed you a bouquet of roses and a small gift.

"Thank you, Jeongyeon, but you really didn't need to."

"Of course I do," Jeongyeon placed a kiss on your cheek and pulled you into a hug. "Happy birthday."

"Thanks." You smiled again, but it didn't quite reach your eyes. "She forgot, didn't she? That's why she sent you here while she run out to get me a last minute birthday gift." You hung your head low as you walked to the dining table and took your seat.

"She did send me here so you wouldn't be alone, but I swear to you she didn't forget it's your birthday. She wanted me to let you know she'll be back before the day ends. She promised."

"It's whatever. I don't want to spoil my mood any further so will you have dinner with me?" You jutted your chin towards the empty seat opposite you.

"Are you sure? You made all these for Jihyo afterall."

"Yet her bestfriend is here and she's not." You shrugged.

Jeongyeon let out a sad smile and joined you for dinner.

"I taught you well, huh? All of these dishes are amazing." Jeongyeon wiped the corners of her mouth and rubbed her full stomach.

"I'm glad I didn't make a fool of myself." You finished the last of your wine and Jeongyeon took it upon herself to clean up.

"Leave it, Jeong. I'll clean up later."

"I'm not letting the birthday girl cook dinner and do the dishes. I may be single but I know how to treat a woman." Jeongyeon winked but you placed a hand on top of hers.

"Dance with me?"

You could tell Jeongyeon was hesitating, seeing that a dance with you was kind of intimate. You understood, but you also just wanted to take your mind off of Jihyo and the fact that she wasn't there for you on your birthday.

Jeongyeon nodded after seeing how upset you've been all night. It's just a dance, Jihyo would understand.

The taller woman extended her hand, "May I?"

You took Jeongyeon's hand and wrapped her arms around your waist while you wrapped yours around her neck.

"Happy birthday again." Jeongyeon smiled, tucking a lock of stray hair behind your ear.

"Thank you." You smiled back and leaned into Jeongyeon, hugging her while the two of you sway to the slow music.

You buried your face in the crook of Jeongyeon's neck and couldn't help but cry. You wished the person you were hugging was Jihyo.

Jeongyeon felt her neck getting wet from your tears but she didn't mind. She knew how you feel, so she rubbed soothing circles on your back.

After a few minutes, the door to your apartment flung open and you and Jeongyeon pulled away as fast as possible. You turned around to wipe your tears while Jeongyeon quickly regained her composure in front of her bestfriend.

"Baby I'm back!" Jihyo's face fell as soon as she caught you crying. Thankfully, Jeongyeon was tall enough to block Jihyo's view.

"Jyo, I know you didn't ask me to dance with her but she wanted to and she was really upset, so I—"

"Jeong, I understand. Thank you for keeping her company." Jihyo pulled Jeongyeon in for hug.

"Did you get it?" Jeongyeon whispered.

Jihyo nodded and pat on her bag, telling Jeongyeon that she have it in there. Jeongyeon nodded and gave her a thumbs up. The taller woman grabbed her bag and hugged you again.

"Thank you for dinner and for the dance. Happy birthday once again." Jeongyeon gently pat your head.

"No, thank you. I'll see you soon." You bid goodbye to Jeongyeon.

You and Jihyo stood awkwardly in the middle of the living room.

"Happy birthday, babygirl." Jihyo opened her arms, hoping you'd let her hug you.

You walked towards Jihyo and let her envelope you in her slim toned arms. "Where have you been? I'm really upset, Jihyo."

"I know, I'm really sorry. I went to collect this." Jihyo poured the contents in her bag carelessly onto the floor and took out a turquoise box as well as a piece of paper. She opened the box, revealing a Tiffany&Co heart pendant necklace. "I ordered this a month ago," Jihyo opened the paper and pointed at the order date, "I was supposed to collect it yesterday but they got the wrong pendant so they had to redo it today so I rushed to the store to collect it after practice. The traffic was really bad today so I got held up."

"It's beautiful." You admired the necklace, and Jihyo turned the pendant to the back. "J?"

"J for Jihyo." Jihyo took the necklace out from the box and put it around your neck. "I hope you will always carry a piece of my heart with you." Jihyo placed a hand on your chest, over the heart pendant.

"I always have. And now this will always remind me of your love for me. I'm sorry I misunderstood you, Jihyo. I should've trusted you."

"No, I'm sorry. I should've texted you first but my phone died and I specifically told Jeongyeon to explain my situation without spoiling the surprise."

"Thank you for the necklace. I love you." You pulled Jihyo in by the nape of her neck and kissed her.

Jihyo deepened the kiss until you both need air. "I love you too." Jihyo was panting a little, and her slightly kiss-swollen lips were turning you on.

"Are you hungry? I made Jeongyeon eat with me, so I don't have any food for you right now."

"It's alright, I'm not that hungry." Jihyo shook her head.

A playful smile painted across your face.

"How about dessert?" You smirked, grabbing Jihyo's hand and putting it in your pants.

Jihyo's eyes widened at what her hand felt, biting her lips, she said, "I've never loved dessert more."

"Hmm." You moaned, "what are you waiting for?"

Jihyo giggled and scooped you up in her arms, carrying you into the bedroom so she could have her dessert properly and as much as she wanted.