Episode 4: Questions I'll never ask

Orlando, Florida 

Present day, 2:53 pm EST

               The plane had just landed in the afternoon. Flume had checked her watch and reviewed the time. Feeling sweaty, the girl shrugged off her pink plaid winter coat  It was currently 3 pm in Orlando, meaning that it was 3 am in Neverland. There was a 12-hour time difference for some strange reason. Flume deduced that nearly everyone was probably asleep except for her nocturnal aunt Nathalia who was a Moth fairy, meaning that she was hypersensitive to the sun. While Moths can roam during the day by applying charms or sunscreen, they typically had a nocturnal schedule. Nat was unique in the sense that she rarely went to sleep.

                 She debated whether or not to enter the portal then. Was it too early? And then thought otherwise. Luckily, Flume booked a hotel reservation in advance so she knew what to do. Flume sighed, before closing the window of the plane. A part of her missed flying. Because she wanted to keep a low profile, she didn't fly much in the human world unless there was a national emergency or traffic. However, she had been flying to work a lot recently due to the rise in conflicts in DC. Of course, she'd move to a city with too many protestors and rioters. 

                  When she first escaped from the human world, she initially went to Upstate New York. Flume had already decided she wished to live in the US as she had spoken the same language as them. She had visited America several times over the years and was the most familiar with them. However, to pacify her parents, she applied for dual citizenship in both the US and Canada. Maleficent had been a Canadian citizen for years (well, her fake identities were) and had a vacation house there. That way, should something happen where the Narrator or someone from Lively crossed paths with her, she could live over there. 

                     It came in handy when she had school vacations as Maleficent and Peter were able to come down and they were able to spend holidays together in Sherbrooke, Canada. Well, one or two holidays but it made it easier for them. Flume missed her mom and while she was able to contact her regularly, the separation was a struggle. Her dad seemed to handle it well but seemed concerned about her well-being. Luckily, she was able to assure him that it was going to be fine. In many ways, it was like having regular parents in a sense and she seemed to have a normal upbringing. 

       They gave her a lot of love and did their best. The only weird part was that everyone was checking out her parents. It was strange having coffee with your mom only for a stranger to walk up to her and hit on her in front of you. Peter would have probably dealt with the same issue had it not been for her mom's intimidation tactics. It was normal for some cities or towns to be aware of nearby magical beings and they often seemed indifferent, especially if the person in question had visited the city in the past few centuries.

          All they needed to know was that her mom was sweet but not a person that could be messed with. Once, the three of them were browsing stores when a salesgirl decided to throw herself, only for Maleficent to fiercely snap her jaw and hiss as a subtle warning, causing her to back off. And of course, it was never telling anyone that they weren't your parents. After the age of ten, Flume was to automatically take a note out of the Bible and claim they were her siblings. 

       Canadian citizenship wound up coming in handy during the pandemic. Two weeks ago, the coronavirus vaccine became available for medical professionals in Canada. Maleficent who happened to be registered as a surgeon used her connections in the hospital she occasionally worked at to convince them to give Flume the vaccine which they did. The doctors and nurses respected her so much that they were more than willing to help. The citizenship allowed her to cross the border quickly.

        It certainly helped that her family had gotten a lot of income in the Human Realm over the past few centuries, which was mainly due to her dad. If you were to add up the family salaries and the fact that the money was only used for visits and the occasional taxes, there was still a lot saved. In short, it was an easy choice. Besides, Upstate had a lot of good schools which was perfect for an up-and-coming fashion designer, plus the De Ville Internship was there. Earlier in the year, she was an intern in the Human Realm and was in training which gave her a leg up. Personally, Flume instantly fell in love with New England, especially New York.