Chapter 1: Shi Yan of The Mount Wudang

Five years later, after the deaths of Emperor Chengzu and Emperor Renzong, Grand Crown Prince Zhu Zhanji was enthroned as the emperor less than a year after being designated as the Grand Crown Prince. He adopted the era name Xuan De, honored Empress Zhang as the Empress Dowager, and bestowed the title of Jiaxing Grand Princess upon his eldest sister, Princess Zhu Yuandi.

On this day, as Zhu Yuandi walked along the path leading to the Qianqing Palace, her steps were light, and her face radiated unmistakable happiness. The common soldiers lining the road stared in astonishment as they watched Zhu Yuandi, dressed in her court attire, pass by like a joyful gazelle.

Inside the Qianqing Palace, ministers were earnestly discussing state affairs when Zhu Yuandi's spirited voice interrupted them. A minister said, "Recently, the issue of the Mongol merchants excessively lending money has improved, thanks to..."

Zhu Yuandi confidently interjected, "Imperial Brother!" Her joyful cry preceded her hurried entrance into the hall, breaking the monotony of the customary proceedings. All eyes turned to her as she gracefully entered, and the hall fell silent except for her exuberance. She continued, "Imperial Brother, your humble sister has something to report."

Emperor Zhu Zhanji looked at her and said coolly, "This is the Qianqing Palace; how can you be so ignorant of protocol?"

Zhu Yuandi replied with composure, "Please forgive your humble sister for momentarily forgetting propriety due to my emotions."

Emperor Zhu Zhanji gave a slight smile and asked, "What kind of emotions require you to come to the Qianqing Palace to express them?"

Zhu Yuandi joyfully said, "Imperial Brother, your humble sister has a request."

Emperor Zhu Zhanji turned to the ministers and said, "All honorable ministers, please withdraw."

The ministers left the hall, and it gradually became quiet inside. Emperor Zhu Zhanji looked at Zhu Yuandi and inquired, "What is it?"

Zhu Yuandi's tone became resolute as she said, "Your Majesty, I humbly request permission to join the Wudang Sect and learn martial arts."

Emperor Zhu Zhanji furrowed his brows and asked, "What? Are you aware that the Wudang Sect does not accept female disciples?"

Zhu Yuandi was well aware of this fact but remained steadfast. She replied, "Your humble sister is aware, which is why I have come to implore Your Majesty."

Emperor Zhu Zhanji contemplated for a moment and said, "Very well, I grant your request."

Zhu Yuandi was overjoyed and exclaimed, "Thank you for your benevolence, Your Majesty! You are the best brother in the world!" With that, she excitedly turned and ran out of the Qianqing Palace.

Emperor Zhu Zhanji watched her departing figure, sighed, and his eyes filled with complex emotions. In the five years that had passed, time had flown by, but her determination and spirit seemed undiminished by the years. He silently wondered what kind of surprises this innocent and vibrant sister of his would bring him.

Several months later, in order to see the bright and intoxicating smile on the face of Mu Daoist once again, Zhu Yuandi dressed as a man and secretly followed Count Pengcheng, Zhang Chang, and Zhang Ziqian to the sacred Daoist sanctuary, Mount Wudang. It was May, with cicadas chirping and flowers in full bloom. She walked alongside Count Pengcheng and his son, Zhang Ziqian, on the winding mountain paths of Mount Wudang. The terrain was rugged, and the scenery was picturesque, mirroring the mysterious sense of adventure she felt within.