Chapter 5: Reunion

"By the mandate of the Emperor, it is decreed: We, mindful of the exceptional virtues and talents of our beloved sister, Princess of Jiaxing, wish to honor her outstanding contributions and elevate her status. We hereby issue this edict to ensure the proper arrangements for her residence and establish the customs of her glory. We grant Princess of Jiaxing a mansion with a staff of one hundred, including ten attendants, for her service. Her prestige shall be revered day and night, and her subjects shall hold her in the highest esteem, refraining from any transgressions. We admonish her attendants and maids to diligently perform their duties, attending to public affairs without delay. Let all matters be handled with utmost dedication to please the Princess. Heed this decree!"

A gentle spring breeze swept through the capital city, bringing with it a sense of renewal. Riding on the spring air, Zhu Yuandi departed from the resplendent Forbidden City and moved into her newly acquired residence in the capital. As the grand gates of her new mansion slowly opened, it revealed a whole new world.

Situated in a corner of the capital, the mansion was surrounded by wide streets lined with weeping willow trees. When the breeze blew, the willow leaves swayed gently, resembling soft whispers. The mansion's exterior was magnificent yet dignified, with red walls, green tiles, and intricate carvings and paintings, exuding the aura of royalty.

Inside, the mansion was meticulously decorated, featuring courtyards with artificial hills, flowing waters, and towering ancient trees, creating a rare sense of serenity. Zhu Yuandi walked slowly through the courtyard, her gaze capturing every detail, from the tranquil pond to the graceful corridors, each exuding a unique beauty. It was an idyllic retreat away from the bustling city, but for Zhu Yuandi, who had been accustomed to the Forbidden City, it felt both familiar and unfamiliar.

Zhu Yuandi entered the main hall, adorned with exquisite furniture and various artworks, including calligraphy and paintings by Emperor Renzong, making each item appear exceptionally precious. She gently touched the stationery on the table, her heart filled with indescribable emotions.

Sitting by the window, Zhu Yuandi gazed out at the courtyard, her mind wandering to distant matters. She thought of the Wudang Sect, the ruins of Gu Family Manor, and the flute player she had never met.

Just as she immersed herself in the tranquility and joy of her new home, a letter arrived like a spring breeze, quietly entering her world. The letter was sent by Mu Daoist, and as Zhu Yuandi carefully unfolded it, she read a poem written inside:

"At dusk (means Yellow), returning on the mountain road to the west,

Cranes dance in the evening sky, endless and bright.

Towers and pavilions stand tall by the river's edge,

Under the starlight, in dreams, we take flight."

Zhu Yuandi's heart trembled at the poem, for it was not only a verse but also an invitation. She immediately realized that the initial characters of each line, "Yellow Crane Tower," revealed the location of their meeting.

Standing silently by the window, holding the letter in her hand, Zhu Yuandi gazed at the scenery outside the courtyard. Her heart brimmed with anticipation for the upcoming reunion. She knew that this journey would be unlike any other, for at the top of Yellow Crane Tower, she would meet Mu Daoist and together, they would admire the ancient charm of River City and the vastness of the Yangtze River.

On the following day, in the early morning light, Zhu Yuandi stood in the hall of the mansion, and the chirping of birds outside the window, accompanied by a gentle breeze, added a sense of anticipation to her journey today. She was heading to River City, and the long-awaited reunion with Mu Daoist had been brewing in her heart for too long. For this meeting, she once again dressed in men's clothing.