Chapter 2: Shi He

Time passed swiftly, and it had been three months since I joined the Wudang Sect. The months of practice and meditation on the secluded peak of Wudang had gradually distanced me from the outside world. However, amidst the whispers that passed between sword training, Zhu Yuandi couldn't help but turn her gaze toward the desolate land behind the mountain.

"Have you heard?" A hushed voice reached her ears, like the gentle breeze brushing by.

Zhu Yuandi set down her sword and stealthily approached. The secretive conversation between two fire-cultivating disciples became clearer as she got closer.

"It's said that five years ago, the one with the most potential to inherit the Wudang legacy wasn't Immortal Shi Yan but rather the disciple of the Great Grandmaster—Shi He!"

"Hush, lower your voice! I heard Shi He suddenly died on the eve of taking over Wudang, and that's when Immortal Shi Yan took the helm!"

"Isn't that the truth? They say Shi He was buried in that desolate land behind the mountain!"

That desolate land seemed to have become a long-forgotten legend within the Wudang Sect, a memory lost to time. Zhu Yuandi quietly reflected on her three months of apprenticeship. She had come here with great reverence for the senior members of the Wudang Sect, but this desolate land made her suddenly realize that even the most heroic generation of masters had now become wrinkles in the pages of history.

She slowed her pace and, following the mention of the two fire-cultivating disciples, made her way toward the back of the mountain. Although this desolate land had once witnessed the glory of the Wudang Sect, it was now deeply buried by the passage of time. Countless disciples and elders of Wudang might have already found their eternal rest in this silence, having silently contributed to the splendorous traditions of the Wudang Sect throughout the centuries. However, this glory had long been polished by time, turning into lonely legends.

Zhu Yuandi bypassed numerous unnamed graves, proceeding along a path buried by time. Before long, she came across a long-abandoned tomb mound in front of her. The mound was no longer pristine, and the inscriptions on the tombstone had become blurred, making them difficult to decipher. A moss-covered stone tablet stood at the center of the mound, eroded by the winds and rains of time, its appearance distorted. There was hardly any human presence around the mound, with only some wild rabbits frolicking in the underbrush, and distant bird calls filling the air. The overgrown grass seemed as if it were trying to engulf the entire mound.

Zhu Yuandi pulled out the tall grass, gently wiping away the dust from the tombstone. As a result, the four characters carved on the tombstone gradually became clear: "Grave of Shi He." She stared silently at those four characters and softly spoke, "Junior Master Shi He, how could you let your final resting place be so desolate? It has been five years, and I have come here not to make you aware of my presence but to express my respect and gratitude. Though we have never met, I believe you were an outstanding disciple of the Wudang Sect, gifted both in talent and martial arts. Yet fate was so unfair to you, taking you away at such a young age."

After saying these words, Zhu Yuandi suddenly heard someone behind her ask, "What are you doing here?"

Startled, Zhu Yuandi turned around and saw Mu Daoist. She quickly bowed to him and said, "Junior Grandmaster, I came to visit Junior Master Shi He. It's been five years, and this place has become so desolate. I wanted to at least guard this place for him."

Mu Daoist looked at Zhu Yuandi, remained silent for a moment, and then smiled, saying, "Shi He was my disciple, and I've always regretted his departure. But seeing your concern for him brings me comfort." He paused, as if deep in thought, and continued, "The day Shi He left, I've always found it hard to come to terms with, as if such a tragedy shouldn't have happened to him."