the group becomes walking advertisements

˚₊‧ ໒꒱ ‧₊˚

BOOK ONE

CHAPTER TWELVE.

❝ i don't want you to get hurt again. ❞

THE GROUP arrived at the abandoned amusement park, a place that seemed frozen in time. The once vibrant colours of the rides had faded, and the laughter that once echoed through the air was replaced with an eerie silence. Rusty roller coasters stood still, and the deserted game booths wore a shroud of neglect.

Next to the amusement park, the water park appeared equally desolate. Broken slides and drained pools created a stark contrast to what must have been a lively place in its heyday. As they approached, Percy spoke, breaking the silence. "I would hate to see what Ares' girlfriend must look like if he brings her to a place like this."

Annabeth shot Percy a stern look. "Show some respect, Percy."

"Why should I respect Ares? I thought you hated him too," Percy retorted, raising an eyebrow.

Annabeth sighed, "It's not about liking or hating. The gods can be unpredictable, and we don't want to mess with their relationships."

Grover added, "You especially don't want to disrespect Ares' girlfriend. She's a bit... temperamental. Especially about her looks."

Percy, not taking the conversation seriously, joked, "Oh, I bet it's someone terrifying. Please tell me Ares is not dating Echidna."

Aria smirked, "Even scarier. Aphrodite."

Grover paled, "This isn't a joke. Insulting the goddess of love and beauty can lead to... unpleasant consequences."

Percy's face shifted from amusement to concern. "Wait, you're serious? Aphrodite's Ares'  girlfriend?" 

Annabeth nodded, "Yes, and she can be quite particular about how people talk about her. Let's just focus on the task at hand and find Ares' shield so we can get out of here."

Walking through the empty park was like walking through a scene of the walking dead. Abandoned clown faces dotted the area, and rides half broken were placed every five steps. Crows cawed in the distance, as if warning them not to go any further. Eventually they reached a souvenir shop, the door left unlocked. The place was still filled with merchandise, and rows and rows of pencils, bucket hats, and clothes lined the shelves.

Annabeth's eyes lit up at the sight of the clothes. "Fresh clothes! We could use a change."

Percy, sceptical, said, "You can't just take them."

Aria rolled her eyes, "Who else is going to use them?"

The girls embarked on a mission through the souvenir shop, arms laden with an assortment of items. Their haul included flower-print shorts, oversized red shirts adorned with the park's logo, and matching Waterland backpacks slung over their shoulders. As they emerged from the changing rooms, there was a vibrant burst of colours and logos, as if they had become living advertisements for the abandoned amusement park.

They twirled and posed with theatrical flair, showcasing their makeshift ensembles. Grover, with a smile on his face, gave an enthusiastic nod of approval.

"Loving the look," he complimented.

Percy, however, was less impressed. He raised an eyebrow, his expression a mix of confusion and mild amusement. However, a few minutes later, he was dressed up in similar attire.