Chapter 4

The sound of an alarm going off rang in Oliver's ears as it slowly got louder. His eyes opened to reveal he was back at his old room at the apartment. He quickly sat up in bed and began to feel his chest.

It was real..?

He felt real.

He glanced over to the alarm clock on his nightstand. It was exactly 6:00 am, the usual time he would wake up to get ready for work. He hopped out of bed to get ready, but couldn't shake off what he dreamt about. Madeleine, Viktor, the clone of Damien...it all felt so vivid.

If that really was all a dream, then it must've been the longest one he'd ever experienced.

He walked into the bathroom to take a shower, but before he did he glanced at himself in the mirror. Nothing was out of the ordinary, his hair was a mess like usual.

After taking a shower, he wrapped a towel around his waist and walked back into his room to change into his casual outfit. Every second that goes by felt wrong, he knew something was off about all of this.

A blink of an eye caused him to find himself sitting on the sofa. The time on the clock now shows 6:00 pm. Did he just blackout?

It was pouring outside as the raindrops hit against the window of the living room. The TV in front of him showed two reporters talking about another missing case.

"Today we're reporting yet another tragic disappearance here in Acer County. The two individuals are young ladies by the name of Caroline Smith and Alice Ruiz."

A pit grew in Oliver's stomach as the names rang in his ears, it became hard to understand what the reporter was saying after that. He just saw the information on the screen. How old they were, height, last place they were seen..

and their photos..

It was them, the two girls he saw at the boutique in his dream.

The reporter continued to speak about how authorities are refusing to carry on the case as there's no evidence where they went, but they were cut off by the other reporter sitting next to them.

"Sorry, may I please talk for one moment.."

His voice was shaken as he ran his fingers through his dark red hair. He adjusted the papers in front of him before speaking.

"Why are they refusing? Why are they just letting countless people go missing without answers? Haven't you all thought about how heartbreaking it is for the families to hear that their loved one is gone? That sons and daughters and siblings are just gone, and the people who are supposed to be taking charge are just turning a blind eye to our pain and suffering? "

"Now..now. Smith please rela-"

"NO! I AM DONE TAKING SHIT FROM THIS TOWN, AND HOW YEAR AFTER YEAR, THEY STILL DON'T DO ANYTHING ABOUT THIS ISSUE! SO MANY FAMILIES ARE BROKEN BECAUSE WE DON'T FIGHT BACK, WE DON'T DO ANYTHING-"

"Because we can't, Smith!! There's nothing we can do!"

"I'M NOT GOING TO FUCKING STOP HERE, I'LL GET TO THE BOTTOM OF THIS MYSELF IF I HAVE TO.. AND WITH ANYONE ELSE WHO'S WATCHING AT HOME WHO IS TIRED OF ALL OF THIS.."

He turns to look at the camera, tears running down his face. Still shouting but with a shaken voice.

"I don't care how much it takes..how much I'll go through.."

The other reporter signals for security as Smith continues to speak.

"Just as long I can see my daughter again.."

The security came in and pulled him away from the set, instantly ending the broadcast with a technical difficulty warning, soon followed by an ad.

Oliver sunk into the couch as he felt his heart beating against his aching chest as he began to feel lightheaded from all the things he was experiencing. He snapped out of it as someone banged their hand on the door.