Chapter 5

June 26, 2007

6:34am

The sun shined through the window, filling the room in with the natural morning sunlight. Damien tossed around in bed as he woke from his sleep, yawning as his arms stretched out.

When he opened his eyes to see his window open again, he noticed a sharp pain coming from his arm. He didn't expect to see what was on it, and he felt his heart sink as his eyes slowly trailed to see two grotesque cuts lining his limb.

"Oh no..no..don't tell me I did..", his voice broke as he traced his fingers along the dry cuts. He winced as they still stung, looking away from his arm back to look around his room.

Before he got out of bed, he saw the broken pieces of vase scattered across the floor. He carefully stepped over the pieces of vase, not wanting to further injure himself. He quickly walked over to Oliver's room, knocking at the door frantically as if it would get him out of the dreadful house any bit faster.

"Oliver..you up? Please, I know It's still early, but I need to show you this.."

No answer.

Damien let out a sharp exhale of frustration before knocking once more. "Dude please, I'm serious about this! I don't feel safe anymore in this house..I think it's best for us to move out..I can't deal with this any longer."

He waited and was met with silence again. Oliver wasn't usually a heavy sleeper, and Damien grew worried thinking Oliver was purposely ignoring him. He opened the door to find out Oliver wasn't there after all.

"Oliver..?"

He looked around and found nothing out of the ordinary. Maybe he was downstairs already..

As Damien walked downstairs, he noticed really small footprints tracked with mud on the staircase. He rubbed his eyes, thinking he was just seeing things only to find out they were real. He quickly made his way to the kitchen to see where Oliver could've gone, but there was no sign of him. Nowhere. He felt a pit forming in his stomach as he kept looking for Oliver but was met with a despairing silence in every place

He looked to the floor once again to find the same small footprints from the staircase. They led to the back door of the house, which was left wide open. He examined the path closely, noticing the tall grass out in the field left an indention, indicating someone or something went through there. Coincidentally enough, it led to the woods in the back of the house. The same woods Oliver talked about people going missing without a trace.

"There has to be more about that urban legend.." Damien mumbled to himself, trying his hardest to not panic over his best friend going missing.

He went back upstairs to grab his cellphone, instantly dialing the numbers to 911. Before he hit the call button, he remembered about the other cases of people going missing in the county. None of them were ever found, and usually authorities would refuse to look any further due to the lack of evidence of where they might've gone. It was no use..

He sighed as he ran his fingers through his hair, there was no other solution he had in mind. That's when it hit him, he could always try to reach out to others somewhere else..

The internet!

He went over to his luggage that was still waiting to be unpacked, quickly looking to see where he put his laptop.

"C'mon.. c'mon..ah here!!" He pulled it out from the bag. As he sat down on his bed, he wondered when it was the last time he used the laptop. That's when it hit him..

When he was in college..

He felt his heart pause as he slowly opened the laptop, all of the memories slipping into his mind once more. Memories he tried his hardest to forget due to how mentally damaging it was for him. He pressed the faded power button as he continued to sit in silence, the only thing he could hear being the sound of the laptops motors. Despite how everything that happened to him was a year ago, it felt like it was an entirety without..