Chapter 34- The fight

I was expecting that he was going to hit me but he didn't. He just looked at me with an expression that I didn't understand and then he drew back from where he was hovering over me. And lay on the bed beside me. I didn't move, I was too afraid to.

Even my breathing was still because I feared that I was going to anger him.

But soon enough I heard light snoring like he was sleeping. And when I moved my head to the side he was indeed sleeping.

Slowly and quietly I moved away from him out of the bed and then I opened the door and left the room. My lips were bleeding. I needed to stop it.

I rushed down the stairs to the kitchen and turned on the tap as I took a towel and placed it under the hot water. Then I turned it off and let the water drip down. Then I squeezed it gently so I didn't burn my hand. Then I cleaned the blood using a hot towel to stop the bleeding.

I heard footsteps rush to the kitchen and I didn't bother turning, I couldn't look at anyone with the way I looked.

" Are you okay madam?" It was one of the maids in the house. I nodded my head hoping she would understand that I didn't want to talk, I wanted to be left alone.

She soon left the kitchen and I breathed in relief. But my relief was short-lived when I heard another footstep, these ones I recognize very well. Rena.

" Jane?" She called, but I didn't give her a response, something that was unusual.

" Jane, are you okay?" She was standing behind me now.

" Am okay Rena." I managed to say as I felt severe pain on my lips.

" You don't sound okay, why are you refusing to look at me?" I swear this lady would be a very good mother. She knows when something is off, so caring and kind, the world would be a better place if we had more people like her.

" Rena please just leave me alone. Please."

" You know I won't do that, am sorry but I won't." I wish my father had said these words to me, if he didn't leave, I wouldn't be here, my mom would be alive and my life wouldn't be where it is.

Without meaning to, I burst into tears. I felt her comforting hand on my shoulder and I turned to embrace her, crying for the pain I was in and the regrets I couldn't correct.

" It's okay Jane, everything is just going to work out." She said as she patted my back like one would do a child who lost a pet and is in so much pain. Rena was my strength in this dark world. I don't know what I would do without her.

" You know I have to kill you now that you have seen me cry," I said in a way to lighten the dark mood that was over us and somehow we both managed a smile.

" I'll get the first aid kit." She said and I just gave her a nod as she excused herself to go get the first aid kit.

Not too long, she came back with the box as I sat on the floor. She joined me on the floor and then she opened the box.

" This is going to hurt a little." She said as she dipped the cotton bud into the spirit and applied it on my wounded lip, and it was indeed painful. I hissed in pain and moved back a little and she stopped.

"Sorry, but this is going to make you feel better." She sounded like it was her fault I was hurt.

" There's nothing to be sorry for, it's not like you gave me the injury." A thought suddenly came to mind, I hoped this wasn't going to get her in trouble, but I needed to be away from Markus and the only person that I could trust was Rena.

" Can you do me a favor?" I asked and she paused what she was doing to look at me. She was applying ointment on my lip. She closed the tub and waited for what I wanted to say.

" I want to be in your room for some days, I have to be away from Markus, I can't face him, at least for a day or two, I want to be alone."

" Okay." Wait what! I didn't think she was going to accept so fast, I thought she would be scared of getting into trouble.

" That was fast," I said to her and she just blessed me with her beautiful smile.

" For you Jane I would gladly do anything, nobody has stood up for me like you, so any day anytime, I am ready to support you."

" Come on, stop that, you're going to make me cry," I said as I covered my face trying to blink back tears. Rena stretched her hand to me as she helped me to my feet.

She showed me her room in such a way that nobody would know she was actually pointing to her room and we agreed that I would come late at night so the camera doesn't record me going into her room.

For now, I was just avoiding Markus at all costs. He woke up sometime late evening and grudgingly walked out of the house heading towards his wing of the house and I couldn't be more relieved.

I was waiting for it to get dark and for the whole power in this wing to go off before I disappeared. I went into my room and changed, I didn't take any other clothes, I left everything in such a way that it would look like I didn't even come into the room after him.

I got the signal when the lights suddenly went off. I didn't waste any time. I rushed out of my room and headed towards the servant's quarters. I had to be fast because the lights weren't supposed to go off for long.

The lights came on exactly the same moment I shut the door to Rena's room.

******

Thank you for reading 🙏