(No) Sacrifices to Be Made

A/N: Hoooo boy. Some of you might be mad at me for this one. I make Izuku cry. :(

(...Again.)

But it's okay, our favourite cinnamon roll gets cheered up by the entirety of Class 1-A! :D

Also, I have been made aware that the quirk apprehension test most likely took place during their opening ceremony. However, seeing as to the fact I've already written this as their first day in the previous chapter, we'll just pretend the opening ceremny is during their first day.

With that out of the way, I hope you enjoy! Now onto the chappy, my gremlins! :D

"Hey," Izuku said, approaching the purple-haired teen as he stretched in preparation for his run. The boy stood up from his bent-legged position and glanced at Izuku apprehensively, not understanding what reason he could have for talking to him. If he knew my quirk, he wouldn't be so willing, he thought with a bitter taste on his tongue.

"What do you want?" He asked warily. He gave Izuku a once-over, assessing him coldly. A skeptical expression crossed his face as he arched an eyebrow expectantly. He felt a bit bad for acting rudely, especially knowing the boy had baggage of his own to deal with. However, what he'd seen in the changing room, while concerning, didn't mean he was going to treat the boy any differently.

Izuku gave him a small, sheepish smile and reached out his hand in the gesture he'd learned that morning. "My name is Izuku. It's nice to meet you."

The purple-haired boy looked tentatively at his outstretched hand, hesitating before he reluctantly shook it. "My name is Shinsou, Shinsou Hitoshi." He pulled his hand away and took a step back, maintaining a guarded demeanour. "You didn't answer my question."

The golden flecks in Izuku's eyes started spinning slowly. Hitoshi didn't know what was going on or if he was using his quirk on him—if those wings of his weren't his only quirk to begin with—but the boy eased his concerns as he leaned in close and whispered in a hushed voice, "I know you're worried, but don't be. I've got it covered."

How does he know I'm afraid of failing...? Hitoshi wondered, his mind racing with uncertainty. The golden flecks in Izuku's eyes had stopped spinning, leaving Hitoshi both intrigued and slightly unnerved. He stared at the boy in confusion for a moment, barely having time to ponder what he had said before Izuku turned and walked away from him. As Hitoshi watched Izuku join the group of students, an air of mystery hung around him, leaving Hitoshi to wonder about the extent of his quirk.

I guess I'll see for myself when it's his turn to participate. With that thought, he went back to stretching, though he couldn't get the thought of Izuku and his black and gold, spinning eyes out of his head.

When Shouta called for them to start, he focused his energy on his legs and feet, putting all his effort into spiriting towards the finish line. When he reached the goal and the robot called out his time, nine point seven seconds, he cursed himself for his apparent worthlessness. The other students who had shared his turn, a brunette girl and a redheaded boy, had easily run ahead of him. They'd done better than him and they hadn't even used their quirks.

Well, he didn't think they had, anyway.

He'd had the thought, the fleeting hope, that Izuku had used his quirk on him so he could perform better in the tests, but apparently, he'd been wrong.

Fuck, Hitoshi spat in his mind. I'm going to be expelled... and without even having shown an ounce of potential. His mind flashed to the scathing words of his peers, the ridicule meant to demean his dream of becoming a hero.