Chapter 9

"Set your life on fire. Seek those who fan your flames" -Rumi

It's a free period at school so I take the initiative to go to the school library and get some research done. My target for today is investigating and perhaps deciphering, the cryptic location Chasm handed over, when I asked, so nicely. The library is quiet today thankfully and I manage to snag a desk all to myself without having to share with the lowerclassman who has the guts to come near me. Cocky little fools, those brats. With my laptop plugged in, books stacked around like the wall of an impenetrable fortress, and a nice cup of coffee hidden away from the hawkish eyes of the librarian, I'm quite comfortably in my zone.

That is until Penelope shows up.

Her countenance radiates frustration from a mile away, green eyes blazing like a wrathful demon of hate. Her hands are clenched on her hips as she stands in front of my desk, all but slamming the lid of my laptop shut.

"Are you Kennedy Woods?" Penelope asks.

"It's Kourtney," I slowly close the book in my hand. "Can I help you?"

"Unfortunately," she mutters. We've been grouped together for an assignment. I need to ensure you complete your contribution."

"What about the boys?" I frown, her words coming to me as a rude surprise. "Surely, you wouldn't just stand by and let them do none of the work."

"Of course not," Penelope flicks her blonde hair over a narrow shoulder, and I marvel at how differently she behaves from that of her alter ego. "I have my methods of persuasion."

I didn't ask and I really, really didn't need to know that.

"Fine. You get Skye to play a part in this and I will too," I offer.

"Good, and put some actual effort into this project, I'd like a good mark," she huffs as if this whole thing is my fault. "I know it's difficult for someone like you, but just try."

I bite my tongue to hold back the rude remark I'm so intent on spewing, and it takes all my self-control not to lash out like a spitting cobra. Spinning on the heel of her high platforms, Penelope sashays away, leaving me in peace again. Although, I must be honest – I am surprised by her abrupt behaviour. Penelope Greene wants to earn her school grades fair and square? Now that's something you don't witness every day. 

And I've seen supervillains try to tear up the city with flamethrowers (fraternal twins called Rapidfire), gigantic suits designed to tumble like a bowling ball (Iron Ferrous) and an assassin covered from head to toe with knives (High Frequency – though I'm not sure why that's his name...)

I don't think much about Penelope's words, not about the project or her worthless insults until later that afternoon when school is finally over for the day. I know when I get back to my apartment, I'm going to have a mountain load of homework and too many assignments to keep track of. Such is the life of an average high school student, like myself. Cause, y'know I'm so normal.

Ah, fudge. School is messing with my head, badly.

I open my locker to stuff all my books in when I notice one of my folders missing. And not just anyone – the one I store all my assignment sheets in. Ugh, this is my luck. Of course, the day I'd be dreading to do my projects would be the day I can't find them. As I rummage through my locker, upturning all my books, and creating an even bigger mess, I barely hear the decline of noise around me fading away like mist. It's only when I finally locate my sacred folder, do I realise the hallways have cleared around me.

"Hey, Woods"

I nearly yelp in shock, my locker swinging shut behind me, the slam reverberating across the empty corridors, and I whip my head towards the source of the only other voice in this desolate school. Skye Stingworth leans against the adjacent locker door, that easy, charming smile on his face as he plays with a button of his red Letterman jacket.