Chapter 13

"Normalise a little crazy for what you believe in" Maxime Lagace

I'm walking out of school, minding my own business when all of a sudden, a giant, man-eating bear topples from the roof of the school, slides down the flagpole some kind of gymnast and starts scaring off all the kids. Students flee for their lives, dropping their bags and running to their cars, devoured by fear.

Well, of course, that didn't happen. But something just as unbelievable did.

I'm walking out of school (hold your horses, I'm getting there) when a motorbike pulls up right in front of me and the driver kills the engine. Hundreds of other kids are minding their own business, saying goodbye to their friends, yet somehow, I stick out. I yank out the buds of my earphones realising by the letterman jacket number and broad shoulders, this punk in front of me is Skye. And when he removes his helmet, my point is proven correct.

He smiles at me, all pearly white teeth, tossing his head so that his copper hair isn't in his face and with the angle of the sun, and the background blurring, Skye looks unbelievably hot. I feel my stomach turning and my cheeks darken infinitely.

Crap.

This is why cute, nice guys shouldn't exist. If a guy is a good-looking jock, he should be egotistical, not sweet, charming, and so very Skye. At least it wouldn't be so disarming. So impossible not to like.

Realising I'm staring, I smoothen out my features then frown. Better be safe than sorry right? I could do snarky, I couldn't do flirty.

"Hey, Woods," Skye puts his arm around his helmet as he leans forward on the bike. "Fancy seeing you here."

Is it possible, to stop the rapid pulsing of your heart, if you had, say, telekinesis?

"We go to the same school," I say drily. "Of course, you'd see me here. Why'd you stop?"

He shrugs. "Thought you might want a ride to the cafe."

I can't – this is too endearing. Too sweet for someone as bitter as I am.

"Um, I don't think that's a good idea," I hesitate. People will see me get on his bike. People will talk. I don't need that kind of attention. "Did you even think this through?"

"Seldom it is that I do, Woods."

"So I've noticed."

Skye holds out his helmet between us, dropping one foot on the ground to get closer to me. I'm rooted in my spot, clutching the strap of my bag. Since when did I behave like a lovestruck fool? This is ridiculous, I have no time for emotional baggage.

"Kourtney, are you coming or not?"

"Hard pass," I push his helmet gently back towards him, then lift my skateboard for him to see. "I've got a ride, but thank you."

He tilts his head. "Really? I've never seen you ride that thing."

"So you're stalking me now, huh?"

Skye flips his visor over his sparkly eyes. "Call it what you want, Woods. I'll see you in a few."

He drives off, engine roaring in his wake, exhaust pipe clouding thick ringlets of grey smoke. Instantly, I feel stranded, and, in my heart, I know I've made the wrong choice. But my head consoles me. Boys are a waste of time. They mess with your mind; make you believe they love you, then leave as quickly as a traffic light changes colours. 

Shaking my head from a cloud of murky thought, I find the closest alleyway to teleport to. I know I can't show up at the cafe before Skye, given he rides a motorbike, which is much faster than a skateboard, so I have to stall time to not seem suspicious.