Chapter 5: Losing Control

Summary:

Erlonda has taken the boys to where Phanes awaits their arrival. Things turn for the worst when Phanes loses control

Chapter Text

Phanes was struggling. He could not hold out for much longer. His concentration caused beads of sweat to appear on his forehead. Suddenly, a loud noise made him pause, and he looked up. Phanes blinked back his tears. His grandsons had arrived.

He felt them before he saw them, and they warmed his heart with their love. He saw Zee and Nu step confidently and without hesitation through the light.

Phanes waited for the transition to begin once they stepped away from the portal and into the doorway. The doorway will rip their souls from their consciousness.

They would return to their original form before they were granted bodies in the human world. This was exciting. Phanes could not wait to see how they were transformed.

They must make the transition to the current time. If the lifemates put up a fight, it would create more pain. To Phane's surprise, both grandsons' consciousness refuses to separate from their respective charges.

They began to fight in earnest. It was like their consciousness knew the importance of who and what they were. He watched in horror as the two consciousnesses rose in the air, growing more menacing.

He did not know what was going on. Phanes was in shock as he watched both combine to make a whole separate being, like two parts of a whole. It began fighting and pushing back to the portal.

"Zee, Nu, Come back. Help them," Erlonda screamed.

Phanes now knew that his grandchildren were quite different from others. He had never seen such a thing.

This was not what he had hoped for at all. He needed what he called them here to give. Phanes could see the pain written on their face and the withering of their bodies, but it was the price. No one can escape it.

The world will thank him for it later. He was thrilled that his family trusted him with their lives, and he could feel they did not blame him for the pain.

"Let go, free yourself from your consciousness, and just be. It is safe in the light," Phane's voice soothed.

Zee and Nu heard Phanes and tried to let their consciousness know it was okay to let go. He could hear the roar of the combined consciousness resuming its fight. It did not trust Phane's words at all. It was a trick.

Zee and Nu understood this was necessary; they could not fight the resistance of their consciousness, but they could do what they were meant to do.

Like everything else they took on, they began working together to complete the task. This is why they will be amazing Godheads when they take the throne. They gave without thinking.

Nu pushed past his pain, a sacrifice he would pay for later. He knew exactly what he needed and gave it freely, no matter the cost. Phanes saw Nu begin to glow, and his arms wrapped around his lifemate, and he became as bright as the sun.

Phanes smiled up at them. If a human described what an angel of light looked like, it would be Zee and Nu right now, in this moment. Small at first but growing thicker and moving faster, a tendril of light flittered down to Phanes.

When it finally reached him, it was like a life of its own. It was wrapped around him, and it seemed like the light sniffed him to figure out if he was good enough to provide it with precious light.

When it had finally finished its inspection, it made its decision. Nu light seemed to want to resist him and not help. What was going on? Why did the light seem to have an opinion?