Chapter One: Ren

I've always been a frozen piece on a chessboard in this world. Literally.

People always think that I come off as heartless, ruthless, serious, or just plainly cold. But in reality, it's not my fault. I can't help it. My heart's been frozen ever since I was born.

It's honestly not that bad, having that in your life. Sure, I may not feel all human emotions to their full capacity. Sure, I can't cry even if I really wanted to. Sure, I'm unfazed by the rude and stinging comments of society (at times). Sure, I'm always half numb. But other than that, life is great.

"Ren!" I heard a knock on my door and I got up, striding over to the door in a few quick steps and then opening it. My childhood friend, Luka Blackbane, stood at the door, hands in his pockets, grinning. "What's up, Sniper?" He said, still grinning widely.

"What's up, Blackbane." I responded with a smirk, shoving his shoulder as I walked out of the room and closed the door behind me.

Luka and I have been friends ever since I was 5 years old. We stumbled upon each other in the forest, when Luka was singing "Rock A Bye Baby" to himself and I was hiding from my parents. I almost iced him in the face with my ice powers before I realized he wasn't there to hurt me, and then we became friends. We met up with each other in secret from both our parents for quite a while, before I was adopted by my stepfather, Percy Sniper, after he found out my parents were... hurtful, impatient, and physically forceful, to say the least, and I was taken away from the village. After that, Luka managed to find me at the castle I live in now and he's started living with us for a few months now.

"Sooooooo," Luka drawled, dragging a hand through his raven colored hair, "How've you been, Sniper?"

"You just saw me, like, an hour ago." I managed not to laugh.

"I know, but still." Luka grinned and nudged me with his shoulder, "Tell me what you did in that one hour."

"I sat on my bed and thought about life decisions." I responded with a straight face.

"Oh? What decisions?" Luka asked, "Do spill the tea." He lowered his voice and peered at me over his nose and I did laugh this time, shoving his shoulder playfully with one hand.

"How about how I let you drag me along to be a part of your lunacy?" I asked teasingly, raising one eyebrow.

"How. Dare. You." Luka glared at me with mock offense.

I shrugged one shoulder, "You're not denying it."

"I-" Luka started to protest, but then sighed. "Touche."

"Exactly. Lunatic." I stuck out my tongue, teasing him, and he rolled his eyes, shaking his head as he crossed his arms and mockingly pouted, glaring at me with his ruby colored eyes.

"I hate you." He smirked.

"Me, too." I responded, stretching out the last word as I stretched my hands to the sky and then lanced them behind my head, closing my eyes as I walked.

"Oh, please. You love me. You just don't admit it." Luka snorted and I side eyed him.

"I care about you more than I do most people." I raised one eyebrow and crossed my arms, "I care about you enough not to murder you on sight, despite your shenanigans that drive me insane."

"That's loveeeee." Luka teased and then added, "Platonically."

I snorted at his latter comment, "Don't push your limits, Blackbane."

"Oh yes, because they're very, very short." Luka shook his head at me with a smirk.

I smirked too, "I'm glad to see that you know your limits, my friend. I'm glad you know."

Luka sighed and then let out a snort, "I do push past those boundaries a lot though. For example," He cleared his throat and then started singing, "Rock a bye, baby, on the tree top-"

"Great Ice Spirits." I pinched the bridge of my nose and dropped my head so my chin touched my chest, "Are you serious?" Even though I was annoyed, I couldn't help but smile as Luka took my hands in his and then started dancing in the field we had walked into.

"When the wind blows, the cradle will rock." He twirled me and I spun, my blue and black hair spinning onto my face. He grinned when I faced him again, "Your turn."

"Down will come baby, cradle and all." I murmured, and we both stood there for a long time, just simply smiling.