Chapter Six: Luka

I walked into the ballroom of the castle, sitting down on the steps and looking up at the painted ceiling. I've never seen so many colors in just one picture before. It was beautiful. Absolutely beautiful.

I got up from the steps and then walked over to a dusty box leaning against a pillar on the ground. I picked it up, blew all the dust away, coughed, and then opened it. Inside the box, there were masks, the ones that you would see people wear at galas and many other fancy dancing events.

I picked one up, the mask covering half of my face and dotted with red jewels around the eyes, and I put it on with a smile. I had missed these masks. They used to be so popular back a few 200 years ago, but now... well, they were long forgotten in history.

"Luka?" I heard Ren's voice before I even registered that she was there.

I darted behind a pillar and then grinned mischievously when Ren appeared into view, her dark black and blue hair swinging behind her as she searched the ballroom for me.

"What is your obsession with the ballroom lately...?" Ren trailed off, putting her hands on her hips after she adjusted her black cloak-like shirt.

"Yes?" I appeared behind her.

Ren spun around, took one look at me, and then yelped. "Holy Ice Spirits above-" She punched at my face and I backed up with a yelp, nearly avoiding a clock to the nose.

"Stop trying to kill me!" I yelped, rubbing at a spot on my nose even though Ren was far from skimming it. "Why did you attack me? I thought you knew it was me."

"Luka?" Ren squinted at me and then bit her lip, looking like she was trying really hard not to laugh. "Why do you have a Nutcracker mask on your face?"

"A what?-" I reached up to touch my face and then realized that I still had the mask on my face. I plucked it off and then chuckled, turning it over and then putting it in front of my face again. "What, please don't tell me that the fearless Ren Sniper is afraid of a dance mask."

"Screw you. Of course I'm not." Ren took the mask gingerly from me and she asked me softly, "Where did you find this?"

"In that box." I pointed at the dusty box. "I didn't know that your castle even had these. Do people even use these anymore these days or do they just dance like crazy?"

"I have no idea, since I haven't done either. I'm not much of a party person, you know." Ren walked over to the box and then lifted a mask of her own. This time, instead of the red jewels dotting around the eyes, it was a light cobalt blue, the color of ice and oceans and cold. Ren lifted it to her face and then looked over at me, her eyebrow slightly lifted like it always was. "How do I look?"

If I didn't know that you weren't an angel beforehand, I would mistake you for one. I thought to myself, barely able to compose myself. Ren's eyes were the same color as the sapphires on the mask, but they shone so much brighter than the gems. I smiled at Ren and crossed my arms casually. "You look just like a duchess."

"Thanks. I'll tell you that I certainly don't have the grace of one." Ren chuckled.

"Here," I offered my hand to her, slipping my own mask on and then grinning. "care for a dance, my lady?"

"Ughhh, did I just give you a new idea for another atrocious nickname?" Ren rolled her eyes, but she took my hand and then smiled. "Besides, I'm not even that good at dancing, so expect me to step on your feet at least twice if not more."

"I bet I'll step on your toes more." I teased.

"Hm." Ren smirked mysteriously and then spun. I pulled her back and she gently thumped against my chest. I smirked down at her, our faces inches away from touching each other.