Chapter Two: Luka

The jade grass beneath me was damp with dew, but I honestly didn't care. As long as I got to spend time with Ren, I didn't mind at all.

I leaned on my side and then looked over at Ren, who had fallen asleep in the grass, her arms folded across her stomach, her military dog tag from her father gleaming in the sunlight we still had left. She let out a soft sigh and shifted, letting out another soft snore.

I bit my lip, trying not to laugh. I've been trying to tell Ren that she breathes hard in her sleep, but she's always just glared at me and said, "Don't lie to me, Blackbane". I do it every now and then to annoy her and just be the great friend I am, but I can tell that Ren knows she does it.

I looked up at the sky and then realized how dark the sky was becoming. Stars speckled the now onyx sky, turning the grass around us a dark purple. I laced my hands at the back of my skull and then turned to look at Ren again. A strand of her soft black hair had fallen in front of her forehead, brushing her eyebrow. I gently reached forward and then moved it, the soft strand of hair slipping through my fingers as I did. She inhaled deeply and I pulled back, but then she remained asleep.

She's beautiful. I thought to myself. So. Damn. Beautiful. I let out a soft sigh and then looked over at the sky, adjusting the sleeves of my red hoodie.

"Blackbane?" I looked over at Ren, who had now opened her eyes and then yawned, stretching her arms over her head elegantly. "Did I fall asleep?"

"Yeah." I looked over at Ren, meeting her cobalt gaze right on. "You tired?"

"No." Ren shook her head, even though she yawned. She brushed aside a strand of discarded hair and then yawned again. I smirked at her and raised one eyebrow and she narrowed her eyes at me.

"Whattt? I'm not."She insisted, stretching one more time. "It's just the waking up part."

"For sure." I said sarcastically, letting out a short laugh when she shoved my shoulder. We looked up at the stars for a while, thinking our own separate thoughts, and I whispered, "You know..."

"I know...?" Ren asked, turning onto her side and tucking her arm underneath her ear.

"You're..." I started to say, "Never mind."

"Oh come on. You can't just leave me on 'never mind'." Ren rolled her eyes with a playful smirk. "What am I, Blackbane?"

My words caught in my throat. I so desperately wanted to say "You're beautiful" and if I was really bold enough... "You're mine". I wish she knew she had my whole heart in her hand. But, being the nervous boy I am, I said, "You're my best friend, Sniper."

"Awww, so sweet." Ren's smirk looked like a genuine smile for once.

"That's what I am." I grinned, even though my heart let out a soft sting at not saying how I truly felt about Sniper yet again. "Sweet.

After I dropped Ren off at her room, waving her goodbye and listening to the soft click of her door closing, I stuffed my hands deep into my pockets as I walked away, towards the living room. Queen Mea had allowed me to stay in the castle for as long as I liked, and I am eternally grateful to her for this. Percy even lended me a cabin of my own after Ren bugged him about it for quite a while.

I sighed heavily and raked my hand through my hair, which had fallen in my eyes. I had a feeling that Percy didn't like me as much, given that he kept on low key threatening me that if I dare hurt his adoptive daughter, he would slaughter me. Of course, the whole family said that to me when Ren introduced me to everyone, so it could just be a family greeting, you know?

But he was also onto my feelings. He's hinted multiple times that I like Ren, and I do. I really do. Ren always brushes him off, embarrassed, and I always try to smile and just joke around with her, but I can't just admit my feelings on the spot. What would I say, "Oh yeah, sir. You're right actually". That's... Awkward. I don't want admitting my feelings for Sniper to be like that.

"Luka Blackbane." A malicious voice hissed, and I growled, not turning around but quickening my pace.

"Go away." I responded.

"Come on, Luka." The voice purred and Drusilla, one of the fellow demons from the underworld, grabbed my wrist and twisted me so that I faced her, her long red nails digging gouges into my wrist. She didn't cut me, but that threat was there, saying she could.

"What do you want from me, Drusilla?" I snarled, twisting away. "I don't need you bothering me right now. What, not enough hell and chaos for you to rain down in the underworld?"

"You do know that he's after you." Drusilla continued to say as I walked, hands clenched in my pockets.

"I know." I responded simply through gritted teeth.

"And you aren't fazed? Impressive." Drusilla shook out her dark wings, similar to the ones that I kept hidden. "Come on, Luka. Aren't you tired? Come back down. Beg for forgiveness. He won't punish you too bad."

"I'm done begging for forgiveness that isn't there." I answered, opening the cabin door and then closing it behind me with a slam, not caring if Drusilla was in the cabin or not.

"Boy, you've always been a tough nut to crack." Drusilla blew aside a strand of smooth blonde and black hair.

"Can you just not leave me alone? Get outta here, Dru. Now." I turned around and crossed my arms at her, glaring wholeheartedly now, my eyes glowing a dangerous hue of red.

"Are you still obsessed over that human girl?" Drusilla teased, even though a hint of jealousy shone through in her voice. "Come on, Luka. Stop trying to fool yourself. She doesn't love you. She never will."

Ouch. That hit hard. I internally winced, resisting the urge to put a hand over my heart and wince out loud. Instead, I steeled myself harder than before and I glared at Drusilla, my wings slowly unfurling from my back like a feathery nightmare.

"You have until the count of three," I whispered softly, but dangerously, "to get. The. Hell. Out of my sight."

Drusilla looked at me one last time and then snorted, twisting her ruby amulet around her finger. "Fine. But don't be surprised when hell comes crawling after you and takes you and everyone you love."

"I am not going to ask you again." I murmured.

"Goodbye, Luka Blackbane." Drusilla wrinkled her nose, and then she vanished, leaving me alone in my cabin.