Chapter Three: Ren

"Kiddo!" I turned around to find my father walking towards me, a stride at a time. He was dressed up in his military uniform, carrying his pen, which secretly turned into a trident. His face was slightly apologetic as he stood in front of me, his matching dog tag shining in the light with mine.

"You're going on a mission." I said, not necessarily a question.

"The special forces called me back." My father winced, "I kind of have to go back, kiddo. It's not like I want to."

I sighed and then said flatly, pathetically, "You promised you'd refuse them when they asked you again. And now? What made you break this promise?"

Dad didn't answer for a long time. Then, he finally said softly, "It's to save the world, kiddo. Please. You have to understand."

I don't want to. That was a selfish thought, I know. But... I can't handle people leaving me.. Despite how much I seal it up, despite how much I push it down, that loneliness always come clawing back up, tearing a raw wound through me. But I swallowed and faced my father, stiffening so I wouldn't tremble. "I understand. Good luck on your mission and don't you dare do anything stupid."

"No promises." Dad said, reaching down to hug me like he always did.

When he pulled away, I grabbed his sleeve and pulled me closer to him, "Promise. Me." Promise me this time. Promise me. Please.

My father looked down at my tightly clenched fist on his sleeve and he took my hand, smoothening it out and gently holding it. "Alright, kiddo. I promise you."

I slipped my hand back to my side and then nodded, "Good. Because if you don't, I'm dragging you out there myself."

"It's dangerous out there, kiddo. This is special forces work, you know. I don't want you to get hurt." Dad warned me.

"You really think special forces can stop me? You trained me after all." I responded breezily with a grin. "You promise. Come back home safe."

"Yes ma'am!" Dad playfully saluted me and then hugged me one more time before letting go. "You'll be alright, Ren. Remember me."

"I will." I held up the dog tag, as if that would say everything. "I will."

"Don't do anything I wouldn't do." Dad warned one last time, tucking his trident-pen into his front pocket.

"You underestimate me." I teased, waving at him.

I turned around, just as my father barked a laugh. I heard him walking away, one step at a time.

I knocked on Luka's cabin door, stretching my neck. I heard a loud thump come from within the cabin and I raised one eyebrow before hearing Luka say, his voice muffled, "Just one second!"

He opened the door, his hair a ruffled mess, one hand each braced on the opposite sides of the door frame. His breath was heavy, his button up shirt was nearly unbuttoned at the collar, and he smelled like lemons. I raised an eyebrow at him and a short laugh escaped from my lips. "Ice Spirits above. What happened to you?"

"I got up." Luka said drily, smirking as he got out of the way and let me in. "Why are you here so early? I didn't even have time to prepare myself before you came."

"Prepare yourself for what?" I snorted, "I've seen you in all your moments. I honestly don't care how "prepared" you look. You're still Blackbane to me."

Luka smiled softly at the small compliment I had dropped and then his face was shadowed with teasing. "I meant I had to mentally prepare myself before you launch me on your journey of insanity."