The Caretaker

Lancelot

Sonic dropped the basket and ran over to us.

"Cream! Tails! Are you okay?" He asked, crouching down to their level.

"Yep we're okay big brother!" Said Tails, hugging Sonic.

"Oh thank chaos. I got a little concerned since you didn't arrive home at the time you usually did. Did those bandits give you any more trouble? I swear I can join you on the way home to scare them off!" Said Sonic, his voice soft yet full of concern.

I watched him as he fussed over his younger siblings. He was beautiful, yet odd.
For most of my knowledge, women ran orphanages, not men around his age.
He looked around my age, maybe a year or two younger.
He was thinner but not super skinny. There was nick in his left ear and a scar on one of his arms. His voice was soft and kind yet had an excitable energy to it, but he was still concerned about his two younger siblings. He took a handkerchief out of his apron pocket and started to wipe off Tails's muzzle.

"You got some soot on your face! Was work okay?" Asked Sonic, his voice still concerned.

"Yes, yes! We're okay! You can stop smothering us!" Said Tails.

"Sonic! We have money!" Said Cream, showing the bag to her older brother.

Sonic gasped then hugged Cream.
"Oh thank goodness! I don't know how I would be able to buy supplies! Did you get the medicine for Eve?"

Tails took off his pack and showed it to Sonic.
"Oh thank chaos! She's just been getting sicker, and none of my homemade medicine is working!" Said Sonic, taking the bottles and putting them into his pockets. "So the bandits didn't attack you today?" He asked.

"No, they did, but he protected us!" Said Tails, stepping aside to present me.

Sonic gasped then stood up to his full height, dusting off his apron.
"Apologies! I didn't know we were having company! I should have dressed better..." he hummed, then he held his hand out for a handshake. "But nevermind that, thank you for protecting my younger brother and sister! My name is Sonic Maurice Oligive Hedgehog, and welcome to the Lilly mansion Orphanage. It is a pleasure to meet you Sirrr?"

"Sir Lancelot, it is a honor to meet your Sonic." I said with a warm smile, shaking his hand.

"Sir Lancelot? Oh dear! I didn't know I was in the presence of a royal knight! I apologize if we come off as messy! It's not exactly the easiest handling around 20 children!" He chuckled nervously, adjusting his bandanna.

"It's quite alright. Your brother and sister are quite delightful, so I have assumptions that you are the same." I said with a smile.

"Oh yes! Tails and Cream are both dears, along with Charmy, but nevermind that! Would you like some soup or rest? It's the least I can do for you since you helped my siblings." He said, gesturing to the house.

"Sounds lovely. I assume you need to give the medicine to your friend as well." I stated, as he started walking to the house.

"Yes, yes! Children! Food is done! Everyone come inside! Elias! Don't pick at the hydrangeas! They're still growing back from when Wendell rolled in them!" He shouted, trying to herd in the children. "Krisopher! Lead Sir Lancelot's horse to the stables with Daffodil!"

A teenage armadillo got up and nodded, grabbing onto Onyx's reins and leading him to the side of the house. All the children started running inside past us and into the house, Sonic sighed and picked his laundry basket back up as he walked back inside.

I followed him into the house, and looked around once we were inside. The floors were oak and the walls were painted a pale blue but had splotches of mud and messy drawings all over the lower areas of the walls.
The floors were scattered with dried muddy paw prints and dried flower petals. Sonic picked up a tattered sock off the ground with a huff.