The Routine

Sonic

I yawned and awoke, stretching my arms. It was early in the morning, the time I always got up.

I got out of bed and went to my closet.

The clothes I had worn yesterday while cleaning Bramble were still out to dry, so I grabbed a different pair.
I pulled on another apron, on top of a pair of jade green pants I had made from a skirt. It was a bit loose near the bottom of my legs but it would work.
I grabbed a white shirt with puffy sleeves and tossed it onto my bed. I pulled off my nightshirt then looked in the mirror at my back.

The scar was long and ugly, but it made me think of what Lancelot had said yesterday.

"Er, sorry. It's just fascinating. You're fascinating...."

I shook my head, feeling myself blush again.
I couldn't have feelings for a knight! Especially one of the round table! Besides, I was just a mere commoner. Why would Sir Lancelot show any interest in a dirty, scruffy, Orphanage Caretaker?

I sighed then pulled on my white shirt. I grabbed the extra bandanna I had and tied it over my head.

I left my room, closing the door quietly as to not wake any children up.
I made my way quietly down the stairs. My wrapped paw stepped on the wooden floor and I heard the click of nails on the hardwood floor.
A tired Bramble sauntered into my view.

"Good morning, buddy." I said softly with a smile, petting him.

His tail wagged and he followed me into the kitchen. I got out the pot for breakfast and started up the cooking fire. I mixed up the ingredients then hooked the pot over the fire.

I watched the meal cook in the pot quietly, the light of the fire being the only source of light in the kitchen.
The light of the flames danced on the walls, sending a warm glow through the room.

My ears perked up as I heard the patter of paws on the wood.
I looked behind me to see one of the 9-year olds, Grace, walking into the kitchen. She clutched an old teddy bear in her hands, and yawned as she walked over to me.

"What are you doing up at this hour, Grace?" I asked softly.

"I couldn't sleep Mr. Sonic..." she said softly, watching the fire.

I sighed with a smile, then picked her up, resting her in one of my arms as I stirred the pot.

An hour or two passed and the food was done, and I was sitting in the living room, sewing up some tears in clothes.
Grace was playing with Bramble, and Tails came down the stairs with Cream in tow.

He yawned, and Cream was stretching her arms.

"Good Morning you two." I said, as they came into view.

"Morning, Big Brother." Yawned Tails.

"Breakfast is ready, you guys can eat and start heading out anytime you need." I said, finishing another stitch in the clothing.

"Got it, be careful not to accidentally sew your apron to a pair of clothes again." Tails said as he walked into the kitchen.

"Hey that happened one time!" I exclaimed.

Grace giggled, and I sighed, slightly chuckling.

Slowly all the children woke up and started coming downstairs.

Tails and Cream left for work and I was now in the kitchen.
I served up breakfast for the children and washed their dishes in between doing that.

I wiped my hands on my apron as the last child finished and ran out of the kitchen.
"Phew, I gotta get back to stitching clothes." I sighed, walking back into the living room.