Chapter 5: Dirty Dog

"Heli." a raspy voice whispered.

I turned around to see nothing behind me.

"Heli." it repeated.
"Heli!" the voice yelled, multiplying.

I huffed, the vampire wiped the sweat off my forehead.

"What's wrong?" he asked.
"Nothing..."

Lilith leaned closer to me and stared intensely at my arm, like the strange person he is. What am I even doing here?

"Uh..."
"Why are there bruises?" he questioned.

I scratched my head and shrugged. He sat back on the table, crossing his arms.

"Tell me."

I sighed, too exhausted to lie.

"I work a job, where I clean manoirs."
"A maid?"

I nodded and sighed.

"Go on."
"Well, I'm not well-treated when I don't do a good job."

I laughed and looked down, regretting what I said.

"Thank you for telling me."

I looked into his eyes as he looked up at me then looked away, a tiny breath of sadness escaping his lips. Did he feel bad for me?

"Well, whoever did that better count their days they live in peace." he said, getting up.
"No, no! You're not gonna kill anyone, will you?"
"Why not?"
"B-because..."
"Yes?..."

I should know that he doesn't get the value of life, especially if he lived for many years.

"Well, you know that person is the only source of income I have."
"Of course. Did you actually think I would kill him?"
"M-maybe..."
"You should know I wouldn't do anything to harm you."
"Then why did you say?..."
"Because I said he will not live in peace. His life will be a living hell after this I guarantee you."
"W-what! Don't do that!"
"Why not?"
"Because you shouldn't."
"Not good of a reason enough."

He patted me on the head, and invited me to sit down. I didn't understand why he cared so much.

...

I leaned on his shoulder and breathed slowly. God, I was so tired. I quickly removed my head and sweated nervously. Why did I do that?!

"S-sorry."
"No need to apologize."

He put his blouse over me, keeping his on. I got up, pulled my chair, flopping onto it. I weakly removed the bag off my shoulder, and throwing it onto the table. He opened the bag and grabbed my notebook. I laid my head on the table and closed my eyes.

"Read it."

He turned through the pages, messing up my hair with his other hand.

"Wow, it's emotional. When did you write it?"
"Long time back. Like last year."

He began to pronounce the words on the paper.

"I am here, but I don't belong. No matter how kind I am, how intelligent, people will only see the outside of me. They see an animal, something dirty to be expelled of. They see a disease, with their hearts filled with hate. That only makes me loath them more, as they crush the weight of my soul, feeding onto it like demons."

He didn't say a word after reading the page. Nor did I. Instead, he scratched a word of his on the paper and handed it to me. I looked up, groaning in exhaustion.

"I see a beautiful human, not a dirty animal." It was written.
"Thank you."

Did he really? I couldn't figure out whether he was lying or not. Maybe it was because he never really lived around humans, that they would never spread their hate to him. I hoped that was the case.

"What is it about?"

Back at the school hallways, I gathered my books, walking towards my class. A nearby student tripped me to the ground. I slowly got up, and the nearby students kicked my stuff farther away from my reach. Gripping the back of my hair, the student slammed my head on the wall. I pushed him off, and ran to class. I arrived there, other people snickering at me as I arrived. The guys chased me into the room. I sat down at my desk and lowered my head, avoiding eye contact.

"Dirty dog."

The person slapped me across the face and I bit my tongue.

Professor Lyre slammed his cane on the desk, the sound echoing loudly, and walked towards the boys.

"Get out of my classroom this instant or I'll beat the hell out of you!"

I looked around the library and chuckled. When doing nothing to these people, I was still treated like I was nothing.

My pencil stopped suddenly, and my mind went blank.

Snap.

"Can you hear me?"
"Hm? Yeah."
"You okay there? You've been staring at the wall for long."
"Y-yeah, I just-...ha..."

I shook my pencil constantly and swore under my breath. I hated when I didn't know what to write. The one thing that motivated me disappeared suddenly and everything was meaningless. I was perhaps exaggerating since living should be enough and to other people's eyes, it is nothing but ink on paper.

"I'll be heading out now."
"Did you forget something?"

He moved his broad stature closer to me and traced his finger down my neck, sending a chill over me in the shadows.

"I'm thirsty~" he sang in a hushed yet soft tone.
"And w-what are you going to do about it?" I answered objectively.
"You know exactly, what."
"You aren't going to bite in my neck, are you?"
"Maybe I will, the orange moon is high and bright, just enough for my thirst."

I stood next to him and shook my head, not knowing what to do next, but to let him do what he was thinking.

Slamming me to the wall, his fangs sunk slowly into my neck, piercing my veins suddenly. I gasped and cried out in pain. He put a finger to my lips, and continued to pierce deeper. I gripped onto the wall, his tongue running across my skin, making my insides tingle. The blood dripped down his mouth, while smearing some of it against my lip.

What the hell was this chaos? It wasn't anything I have experienced before that's for sure. He pushed me further against the wall. I breathed heavily. My body was heavier against my skin. I didn't even try to hide my heavy breath, as I was too tired.

"Ugh..."

He released and held me up in his arms, the only support I had. The blood dripped from his mouth as he held me.
Without the pain waking me up, I immediately fainted on the spot, plunging into a deep slumber.